Start Button / Screen not working, error "explorer.exe Class Not Registered" in Windows 10

Split from this thread.

I have sort of the same issue. Windows 10, Start button! However I can right click on it and it gives me the maintenance menu, which is Good! But when I regular left click I SHOULD GET THE POPUP MENU!

However nothing happens. I checked all settings and went thru control panel for everything. Nothing helped. This one has me stumped!

I did try some of the suggestions listed here and none of them helped. However my Hard drive is new and checks out!

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2018 Views 88,640 Applies to:
Answer

Well, I think I have solved the Explorer. exe problem with windows 10. Here is how I got the menu and Microsoft edge to work for me.

Went to Control Panel>Programs, Then clicked on Windows Features on and off. I found that my old Explorer 11 was checked. I then proceeded to uncheck it and when I did I got a dialog that said are your sure and that some features may not wok. I went ahead and said yes. I then restarted my computer. I went through a short update and then it said working on windows, then my desktop came on and the menu and microsoft edge is now working. I believe that there was a conflict when restarting the computer and was trying to launch both Edge and explorer at the same time causing explorer to not register due to the new windows 10, by turing off the old explorer that seemed to resolve the problem. Try it. it can't hurt anything. Mike

173 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
I'd this problem too, here's how I solved it I'm not an expert but I got the problem fix. Reason how I got this problem in the first place, was cause I was trying to fix web page not responding and had messed around with command prompt which then automatically turn my screen black. Okay starting from the black screen you want to open up task manager to do this Ctrl+Alt+delete. open task manager. Now we would like to open up the internet browser to browse online for help, and to do this go under services on task manager and look for LenovoRecommends.Appservice(my computer brand is Lenovo but it'll be with your brands name) right click and open services. On the top left look for a blue icon with a question mark and click once. you should now be on Microsoft management console, (navigate around to load this page) and from there click on options and proceed to click on internet options. From internet options click on another question mark icon but this time it should'nt be blue and on the right side corner near the x exit button. You should now be on the internet browser. To launch command prompt go back to task manager, and under process search for Lenovo system agent( yet again it should be the same for any brand) and right click to open file location. under this pc move up once to videos and click then click back to this pc and search command prompt. Right click on any cmd's but run it as administrator. To open up control panel give this command. Start control(with a space in between) start control. From control panel go to programs, and click on windows features on and off. You might see that you have your old internet explorer 11 check. Uncheck it and click okay. It's gonna say that some feature MAY not work. Go ahead and say yes. It'll give you an option to restart the computer or it may automatically do it itself. After restarting and some short updates, you may still see your desktop black but should go back to normal with in a few seconds. Everything should be okay now. You'll notice that I'd given you some extra steps but that's only to give you an option to either restore your computer or not and to browse online for help. But you should be fine now.

122 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.