Question

Q: Shutdown error "DDE Server Window: explorer.exe Application Error".

Original Title - Shutdown error

Does anyone know what this is??

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Dylanspade,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• Have you installed all pending Windows Updates and also updated all device drivers?

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

This issue might occur due to some inconsistency in the system files.

Let us follow these methods and check if this helps.

Method 1.

You may boot the computer in a clean boot state and check the status. When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the system. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows: (Applies to Windows 10) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Method 2.

You may boot to the desktop and then perform check disk to check if this helps.

Refer to the steps under the section “To repair a drive” from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found, then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

30 people were helped by this reply

Toshiba satellite L655-5117

everything is uptodate

only change was upgrading from 9926 to10041

Sorry this didn't help.

12 people were helped by this reply

Nether one of those worked

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Hallo, i have same error, is there any solutions for this problem now? 

Sorry this didn't help.

55 people were helped by this reply

I too had this error on shutdown, it only occured post the latest update to build 10041.

All the latest Windows Updates are done, I will check device drivers though.

All system  drivers updated using a commercial drivers update program. It seems to have fixed my issues.

Dell XPS 1645 i7 Q720 processor 4gb ram 64bit OS.

Sorry this didn't help.

1090 people were helped by this reply

Yes, I have the same error here too after the 9926 to 10041 update.

At first it would refuse to sleep or shutdown. Now after the mid KB updates PC will sleep but still no shutdown. At present, Click shutdown anyway and click OK to the error to shutdown, or at first (before mid KBs) had to physically hold down case power button.

~My guess? is something to do with video or ATI control.~??

Home built MSI G-45, latest bios set for Win 8, i5 Intel processor, SSD drive, AMD R9 270 video, duel monitors.

Otherwise all seems normal! Thanks Team!

Sorry this didn't help.

15 people were helped by this reply

I developed exactly the same problem at the 10041 update.  There are not errors logged in the event log.

In my case as well as yours, the memory location is B8

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dylanspade,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

As Windows 10 Technical Preview is still in developmental stage, you may expect some compatibility issues as of now and some features or settings might not work as expected.

I would like to let you know that as of now the ISO file is available only for Windows 10 build 10041. If you wish to then you may download the ISO file for Windows 10 technical Preview with the latest build 10041, then click this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso-update-1503

Refer to the post by “Andre Da Costa” from this thread to know more.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/instructions-create-a-bootable-iso-file-using-esd/d2768b51-221a-436e-af4e-d3b9118a8864?page=1&tm=1427801052806

Keep us informed to help you further.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply I just installed the build 10049 and haven't had that problem yet.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

I also encountered the same problem. On top of that, it appears windows wants to do an update at 1200am every night. As far as I can tell there are no updates available. This has been going on I think since the move over to 10041. Is this related?

Sorry this didn't help.

9 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 44,476 Last updated: July 2, 2018 Applies to: