Question

Q: Get Critical error in the Shell Infrastructure Host, it says "Start Menu, Cortana, and some apps may not be available. Please save your work and sign-out to recover"

Original title: getting Critical Error.  error occurred in the Shell Infrastructure Host

After updating to 10122 on my Dell Venue Pro 8, everything looked fine. I played with it a bit.  Left it a bit.  Don't remember if I had rebooted or not at this time.  I started getting this critical error that I can't get out of.  Even after rebooting, it comes back.  Start Menu doesn't work.

I get this message in the pop dialog box:

=====

Critical Error

A critical error has occurred in the Shell Infrastructure Host.  Start Menu, Cortana, and some apps may not be available. Please save your work and sign-out to recover

[Sign out]

=====

I tried the sign out button a few times and error didn't go away.  I tried to use power button and was able to shutdown the tablet and restart it.  But that didn't make any difference.

I was able to start up a powershell in admin mode.  Tried to start up some cpl command.  Even got to the troubleshooting page and it attempted to fix something when I ask it to trouble shoot Windows Update.

So I guess I am stuck now.  Not sure what else I can do other than get the usb drive out and do the backup recovery.

Anybody else encountering this?

John

Answer

A:

Hi John,

Thank you for choosing Windows Insider Program.

To diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if the issue persists.

Method 1: Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

1. Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 2:

You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
  3. Select Add an Account.
  4. Enter a user name and hit Next.
  5. Click on Finish.
  6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
  7. Check if issue persists.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Harkanwar

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 47,982 Last updated: July 5, 2018 Applies to: