BSOD (Page Fault Non Paged Area) since Build 10525

Hello everyone,

I am part of the Insider program on my laptop which is a Dell XPS 13 2015 released 5 months ago (configuration below)

I never had any specific issue with all the releases of Windows 10 however this week is getting much more complex and after a few days now I am getting to the limit of my own potential to get a fix !

Let's summarize the issue...

On Friday the computer began to show BSOD with Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area (no additional details on the BSOD).

Since then, I have performed recoveries with backup restore points, reset of Windows (keeping only personal files) etc. Each time, it seems to work again as it should but the issue comes back the day after. Moreover since the reset my product key is not recognized anymore and the activation now fails (collateral damage for sure, but which may quickly become a new problem...)

I am not a BSOD expert but from what I saw here and there this error comes from something linked to the RAM. I would be surprised if it was a material issue as the computer is quite new and moreover as this comes at the same time as the update to the build 10525...

I understood that this build introduce something new linked to the way data are compressed on the RAM, may it be linked ?

Would anyone has any idea of what may be tried to solve the issue, and where it could come from?

FYI even if it may be a useless detail: when I am doing a recovery with a backup restore point, the system tells me that it failed (error 0X8007002) however when Windows restarts at this time, then it says that windows has been successfully restored.

Thanks for your support or ideas!

Of course if you need any additional info, just let me know..!

-----------

Processeur
Dino 13
Système d'exploitation
Windows 8.1 (64 bits) multilingue : anglais, français, allemand, néerlandais, italien
Mémoire
Mémoire bicanale DDR3L-RS 8 Go à 1 600 MHz (intégrée)
Clavier
Clavier intégré rétroéclairé : français (AZERTY)
Carte graphique
Carte graphique Intel(R) HD 
Driver
Pilote pour la carte Dell Wireless 1560
Disque dur
Disque SSD 256 Go
Connectivité sans fil
Carte DW 1560 avec Bluetooth 4.0 (802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0, bibande 2,4 GHz et 5 GHz, 2x2)
Câbler
Cordon d‘alimentation : européen
Documentation/disques
Documentation d‘expédition : anglais, français, allemand, italien, néerlandais
Référence de l'offre Gedis
CNX4309
Options de garantie
1 an d‘intervention le jour ouvré suivant avec assistance téléphonique Premium
Systems Management
Technologie Intel® Smart Connect, 9343
PalmRest
Étiquette repose-poignets multilingue
Placemat
Guide d‘utilisation (anglais, français, arabe, polonais, russe)
Documentation
Aucune fiche technique de garantie requise
Informations de commande
Commande Dell XPS
Batterie principale
Batterie intégrée à 4 cellules (52 Wh)
Processeur
Processeur Intel® Core™ de 5e génération i5-5200U (3 Mo de mémoire cache, jusqu‘à 2,70 GHz)
Advanced Software Support
Module TPM inclus
Protégez votre système
Protection contre les dommages accidentels pendant 1 an
Emballage
Documentation d‘expédition pour le modèle XPS 13
FGA
DINO1601_5123/MR/BTO
Marque du processeur
Étiquette de processeur Intel® Core™ i5 pour Ultrabook
Écran
Écran Infinity Full HD (1 920 x 1 080) de 13,3 pouces

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Romain,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate you for trying some troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

1) Have you made any changes to the hardware prior to the issue?

2) Have you installed any third party security software in your computer?

3) Is your system up to date?

I suggest you to disable third party security software (if any installed), and check if it helps:

THIRD PARTY LINK DISCLAIMER

Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Disable Antivirus:

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Kindly follow the below methods after you restarting the computer successfully and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.

I would suggest you to refer the below Microsoft help article on How to Perform Clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

The steps for Windows 8.1 applies well to Windows 10 also.

Disclaimer: Please reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot by referring above article.

Method 2:

Install the latest updates through Windows updates.

1. Open the Start menu and type Windows update in the search bar.

2. Click on Windows update and Check for the updates.

3. Download and install if there are any pending updates to be installed.

Kindly let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Kiran,

Thank you for your prompt reply!

To answer your questions, I do not have any third party security software installed.

Regarding the hardware, I have not changed anything to the original configuration.

It seems that my Windows is up to date. Update says everything is fine, however I am still on the build 10525 and not 10532 which seems to be out, right? But I guess it may be normal? FYI my settings are set on the Fast Insider channel.

I have performed a clean boot, it works but it may not be relevent as I already made a reset this morning again and when I did that on previous days I was gaining some hours of normal usage before new BSODs... I may the be in this grace period.

Last but not least, after the new reset this morning, Windows remains unactivated and I now get the watermark in the corner. Should I consider that the computer will not be able anymore to find the previous license (which was based on the previous Windows 8 OEM)?.. Just to prepare myself if I need shortly to buy a brand new license if the upgrade cannot be recognized anymore..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We do need the actual log files (called a DMP files) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I have looked carefully at your link and here is where I stand..

Unfortunately it seems I do not have any minidump or memory.dmp in my windows folder.

I have then reviewed your procedure.

- Minidumps were activated but Automatically Restart was checked.  I have changed this setting.

- Small dump directory was set with Memory.dmp so I have changed it with Minidump instead

- WER is set on manual in my Services

- User account control is set on Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer

- Pages files: I am not sure to read correctly these settings. I have included in the zip a few screenshot of my current settings, hope it will help for you to confirm..

One thing I am sure of is how to set the write debugging information header. You say to put it on "automatic memory dmp" (it was already the case) but below you mention that for dumps to be produced it should be set on "kernel memory dump". Did I misunderstand something?

I also included in the zip file the windows events log which list everyting since my last reset. Not sure it helps to be honest but I am trying to find anything which may helpful.. who knows? :)

https://1fichier.com/?o0k9f2kj8y

Should I be all set for the next crashes then to get the right info?

Thank you very much for your support!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should be set for the next crash
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Well it seems that now that I would be ready, the system decided not give up the game and everything works normally since monday!

Thank you again for your support and the extensive explanations you wrote for the dmp files.

The only remaining consequence is an issue I have with the activation now..

Everything was fine since my upgrade from Windows 8 which was the original license. But Windows cannot get the activation since the last reset (with the windows implemented function) I did on Sunday saying that the product key is blocked (error 0xC004C003)

Looking at the product key on the computer I now see 2 of them as below. Is it normal after an upgrade from W8? The key set as W10 below is the blocked one, and the first one does not work at all maybe because this was a W8?

Should I call Microsoft even if this may be linked to the usage of a preview version?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you clean install prior to upgrading to win 10?

This product key didn't work. (Error code: 0xC004C003)

License could not be found or was invalid. (Error code: 0xC004F034)
          What it means and how to fix it

There are a few reasons why you might see this error:

• You performed a clean installation of Windows 10 instead of first upgrading from your previous version of Windows. When this happens, we aren't able to register your entitlement with the activation servers because you aren't upgrading to Windows 10. To fix this, you'll need to go back to your previous version of Windows, make sure the previous version is activated, and then upgrade to Windows 10. For more info about how to go back to a previous version of Windows, see the section in Recovery options in Windows 10.

• You upgraded to Windows 10, but the activation servers were busy. If you upgraded from an activated copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, your copy of Windows 10 will be automatically activated, or you can wait a while and then select Activate now. If you performed a clean installation instead of first upgrading to Windows 10, see the info on how to fix this problem in the previous item.

• You might also see this error if you're using an invalid product key. For example, you can't use a Windows 7 or  Windows 8.1 product key to activate Windows 10.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No I did not. And the activation was fine until sunday and the reset (keeping only personal files).. it never showed me this message before.

When I tried to get back to the previous version of Windows on sunday, it said that the operation couldn't be done, same as when I tried to get back to the previous Windows 10 release thinking that 10525 might be the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again,

I should not have said that everything was fine again earlier... BSOD are back.

Below os the link for the Minidump file which has been created. The first crash occured just after I tried to switch on the computer from sleep mode (at 8.53pm french time). it is now crashing with the same BSOD each time I restart it in normal mode, after a few seconds. I can only keep the computer working in safe mode.

https://1fichier.com/?ds5b9nbp53

Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'm having the same exact issue... same computer.. brand new Dell XPS 13 2015 with Touch screen.

I upgraded to Windows 10 since few version before RTM build via the Insider program and was very happy with it. no crashes at all.

When I finally got the RTM build, I contacted ESET, as I own a license for ESET Nod32 Antivirus for 4 computers and understood that new version is out with support for Windows10, so I installed it and everything seems to be perfect.

After RTM, Windows updated automatically to build 10525 as part of the fast ring and I was happy to notice a new build except the watermark which is now back to the right corner of my screen... (My copy of Windows is fully activated).

After few days I uninstalled ESET Nod32 as HIPS didn't work... and support team wrote on their forum that build 10525 isn't supported......

With or without connection (I think without) I started to experience the horrible BSOD, page fault error... few times by day.

By what I read here and there, it can be related to my Wireless adapter driver... not sure about it but I'm investigating as we speak... Dell suggested to upgrade the bios to latest version than download recent drivers from their support site via service tag. uninstall Wireless and Bluetooth drivers (and delete driver from hdd), restart and install again the latest drivers. I'm going to check this later today.

Interesting point is, I manage to reproduce steps to get the this BSOD... hopefully someone else can confirm too.

Open settings,  Windows Update wait for build 10532 to start downloading... and boom.... BSOD. 4 times, one after another.

Is there a way to install insider build in a different way ?

Thanks for your support

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 1,210 Applies to: