An old fashioned Irish wake, courtesy of build 10049 and Spartan

A tribute to a lost friend(for 30 days,anyway)  A compadre' in the field of technology. Fare thee' well Noel, We barely knew ye'

You will be missed....     (for 30 days,anyway)

We all know you are watching from afar.....As we journey through this "thing" called technical preview.

One can only hope....    (for 30 days,anyway)  that we can persevere in this endeavor to improve the oobe for generations to come. amen

...and now something completely different , COURTESY OF BUILD 10049 and SPARTAN

Discussion Info

Last updated May 26, 2019 Views 2,162 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Not to worry,  He's still around. Perhaps, through the voice of a brand new insider ?  Haha

This thread needs to get some traction, keep it on the front page so to speak.

Stepping on toes in this regard will only work if everyone does it from now on. At least till May,anyway.

Lets see how many me too's we can chalk up for this discussion !

Stepping on toes got  him tossed, who is next in line ?

Well this discussion has been running for almost as long as 10049 has been out. Some thoughts. The Fast build was good idea, but did we help slow it? Was it not communicated well? (the builds not communicated well, i.e. still present known issues and what was fixed) We saw 10041 and 10049 in quick order. But some bugs still present in both, so comments were negative by some (me included on the 0.00MB freespace update bug). So have they backed the Fast ring down because of this? I see talk of now 3 more builds since 10049. I am not interested in leaked builds personally. But do we now know enough to accept Fast builds? I.e some same bugs but keeping things moving along? 

If you are 14years old and want to get some free music, Peer2peer might sound like a good idea.

In the Grownup world this kind of public "file sharing" has always been risky.

Well, now MS takes it to the next level.  ON by default.......Update your SYSTEM peer2peer.

A wise man once said;  What could possibly go wrong with that ?  

Downloaded/installed 10061 Thursday no problem.  Checking Settings, I disabled the "Peer2Peer"

update option. It turned itself back ON. From admin log on Turned it off. It turned itself back on.

At least a dozen times turned it OFF.  It always turns itself back on. Anybody else notice this in

Build 10061 ?!   I refuse to take important system updates from "Other PC's on the internet"

Don't even have the option for "my local network" only.  This is a dealbreaker for me.

Choose how you download updates - does not stay turned off for me either, getting the same thing here on build 10061. I have reported it via feedback. Just close Settings and reopen and it shows as back on.

If you are 14years old and want to get some free music, Peer2peer might sound like a good idea.

In the Grownup world this kind of public "file sharing" has always been risky.

Well, now MS takes it to the next level.  ON by default.......Update your SYSTEM peer2peer.

A wise man once said;  What could possibly go wrong with that ?  

Downloaded/installed 10061 Thursday no problem.  Checking Settings, I disabled the "Peer2Peer"

update option. It turned itself back ON. From admin log on Turned it off. It turned itself back on.

At least a dozen times turned it OFF.  It always turns itself back on. Anybody else notice this in

Build 10061 ?!   I refuse to take important system updates from "Other PC's on the internet"

Don't even have the option for "my local network" only.  This is a dealbreaker for me.

10061 turned it back on for me.

Won't stay off, we need a registry hack I guess.

Well in 10061 seems like a good old bug to me, beyond a manual registry setting perhaps.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization

DWORD SystemSettingsDownloadMode

Now in 10061 I can see that change to 2 ('PCs on my local network' perhaps) and 3 ('PCs on my local network and PCs on the internet' perhaps). Need to do a change On of Off to see that change (with one of the other options), but On or Off on its own does not appear to do anything. Now I could be barking up the wrong tree completely, but, what does 1 do? Anyone with 10041 or 10049 perhaps that can check that setting with it switched off?

So does seems like a bug to me, off to report it in Feedback App. UPDATE - checked and it was in Feedback, apparently I am the author that feedback :) ah yeah I had logged it.

Oh and if that is it, Current User? So different users get different Windows Updates settings?

Well had a look on a 10041 build, the Current User key acts the same, so dug a bit further;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config

DODownloadMode DWORD 0 (zero) appears it is off in 10061.

Now this does not change it you just view the setting, even when GUI is saying on. But change it from off, to on local, changes to 2, on and internet, 3. Back to off, 0. Now close settings, open them again, GUI says on, reg setting still 0. View the settings, listed as on in the GUI, reg stays 0. Change it as above it changes. Leave it a on and local, 2, Stays at 2, close and open GUI says on and internet.

This setting appears to have changed from 10041 checked (setting is DownloadMode in 10041, DODownloadMode 10061).

So looks like a GUI bug to me.

Ever wonder why Windows10 will be FREE for the first year ?

This article may explain it......

Ever wonder why Windows10 will be FREE for the first year ?

This article may explain it......

What has become of a once great company? It's a tragedy.

10041,clean install.   WU gui   "dwnld apps/os updates from multiple sources"  OFF

O PC's on my local network  (grayed out)

O PC's on my network,and PC's on the internet(grayed out)

DWORD value for SystemSettingsDownloadMode   0x00000002 (2)

from HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization

from admin log on.

We need to figure this out !    My guess value2  means  PC's on my local network  ?