Several Windows Insiders with a Lumia 550 have reported an issue where their phone no longer charges or connects via USB after upgrading to Build 14267.1002. As mentioned in an update to the flight build's blog post, there's some details we want you to be aware of while we actively investigate and address the situation.
Lumia 550's are not charging after taking the 14267.1002 update on Windows Insider.
Once your battery is depleted, this can result in your phone getting into a reboot loop after you reconnect to a charger, and your phone not being recognized via USB on your computer.
Work around and solutions:
Skipping this build: If you have a Lumia 550, we recommend holding off going to this build. To change your ring:
- Open the Windows Insider app.
- Tap "Get preview builds".
- Select a ring other than Fast.
If you weren't able to skip this build on your Lumia 550, please follow the steps below.
Step 1: Charging the battery:
The phone should have at least 25% battery charge before moving onto Step 2 for recovering.
Method 1: [Removed based on feedback from those of you who indicated this was not working]
Method 2: If your battery level is very low (e.g. 5% or less) and find you're unable to charge your battery normally, here's steps some people have found helpful to get the battery to take a charge. Just note that these are manual and somewhat tedious:
- Turn the phone off if it's not already shut down.
- Press and hold the Power button until Slide down to power off message appears on-screen, then swipe down.
- If that doesn't work, press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds), then release the buttons. This will initiate restarting the phone.
- You can also power off by removing and re-inserting the battery.
- Plug the phone into charger.
- Once the Windows logo shows up, press and hold the Power button until it restarts. Try to do this before it ever boots into the main OS.
- Important: Keep repeating step 3. While time consuming the phone will get a charge during the moments of initial start-up.
- After the phone gets enough charge, follow the instructions under Step 2 below for recovering the phone
Step 2: Recovering the phone:
We recommend restoring back to the Current Branch on your phone by using the Windows Device Recovery Tool to reinstall Windows 10 Mobile.
- Connect your phone via a USB cable to your PC.
- Start the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
- Your phone won't be detected normally in the tool. Click "My device was not detected". Select Lumia.
- While the Windows Device Recovery Tool shows "Waiting for connection", restart your phone. To do this, press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration.
- Watch the Windows Device Recovery Tool because it should detect your device during its reboot sequence.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to reinstall the software.
If the Windows Device Recovery Tool needs to download the recovery image, your phone may reboot back into the OS. Once the image finishes downloading, reboot your phone again and it should begin reinstalling Windows 10 Mobile.
If you encounter any issues using the WDRT tool, including a situation where your device may not be recognized, please reference this how-to guide [http://aka.ms/devicerecovery] for instructions on how to proceed.