Builds 18999+ Restart Issue (And Workaround!)

***EDIT***

The fix is now available as a cumulative update (CU)!

Once your device installs build 19002, you will be offered an additional small update which will change your build number from 19002.1 to 19002.1002.  There is only one change in this CU, the fix for this restart issue!

I've left the original details below for anyone who may not have received this update yet but wanted to share the good news that the fix for this issue is now available.

Thank you!

------------------------------------

Hello Windows Insiders!

As you may have heard or experienced firsthand, there is a bug that appeared in build 18999 affecting some aspects of shutting down or restarting your device.  If you have tried to shutdown or restart and saw "the spinning dots" appear on the logoff screen for an extended/indefinite amount of time, then you've hit this particular issue.

We have a fix in the works for this bug, but it is not yet available.  In the interim, there are a few things we want to bring to your attention:

• Please do not attempt other random workarounds to bypass the issue.  Activities such as uninstalling and reinstalling Windows components will not remedy the issue.
  • This issue doesn't affect everyone (thankfully!)
  • Automatic sleep or hibernate don't appear to be affected.
  • This issue could cause a snag in trying to install the next Insider build we release.

Now to the workarounds!

To shutdown:

1. Click Start
  2. Type CMD and press Enter (a command prompt window will open)
  3. Type or paste this command:  shutdown /s /t 1
  4. Hit Enter
  5. Wait for the process to complete as expected

To restart:

1. Click Start
  2. Type CMD and press Enter (a command prompt window will open)
  3. Type or paste this command:  shutdown /r /t 1
  4. Hit Enter
  5. Wait for the process to complete as expected

Stay tuned to this thread and discussion for more details along the way.  If you do hit an issue during install of the next Insider preview build, please let us know.  If related to this issue, your device would download and prep the build, but then hang on the reboot screen while trying to begin the offline phase of the install.

We're keeping an eye out on this issue!

Thanks,

Jason

Discussion Info

Last updated December 4, 2019 Views 15,811 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It does work.  If the first restart doesn't take, you can simply do the cmdline restart again and it should work.  You can also try (after successfully restarting) quickly logging in go to Start > Power > Update & Restart.  Please give it up to 10 minutes before powering off for the install to start.

-Eddie

My build is 19002 and this problem still exists. Microsoft apologizes and says they are working on it, and the check is in the mail. etc...

sorry

jim

I won't be so hard on MS for this as they cleary disclaim that Insider build can have issues. That said, this restart bug is definitely problematic and I hope they provide a fix/new build soon. Just speaking for myself, I found very little useful in 19002 and I won't complain if MS just removes the build from the servers.

AjayGuptaUSA

I won't be so hard on MS for this as they cleary disclaim that Insider build can have issues. That said, this restart bug is definitely problematic and I hope they provide a fix/new build soon. Just speaking for myself, I found very little useful in 19002 and I won't complain if MS just removes the build from the servers.

Except for the Known shutdown/restart issue I

have no major problems.

What else is no working for you?

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.

My build is 19002 and this problem still exists. Microsoft apologizes and says they are working on it, and the check is in the mail. etc...

The following is listed in the build release blog with every build:

IMPORTANT: As is normal with pre-release builds, these builds may contain bugs that might be painful for some. If you take this flight, you won’t be able to switch Slow or Release Preview rings without doing a clean-install on your PC.

In addition, as these are beta builds a warning is listed in the Insider agreement when you joined the Insiders. Stuff happens.

Never Give Up!

i just installed 19002 but i got 19002.1 again in the windows update page, is this 19002.1002 update?

Build 19002.1 is now available for downloading.

The issue is not fixed in 19002.

When the dots start spinning, wait until you get bored by that. lol

Then hit the power button for 4 seconds. Does no harm. 

i just installed 19002 but i got 19002.1 again in the windows update page, is this 19002.1002 update?

KB4526447 fixes this issue.

I used the Update & Restart under power to restart.

On the desktop I used normal restart and it spun.

I powered off and on, it said updating and finished.

The Laptop I used the Update & Restart under Power

and it worked fine.

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.
How long did you wait for it install after you pressed the update and restart?

Is not a workaround is the solution, these features can be enabled when this is fixed, until then you won't be able to use your virtual machines or the Windows Sandbox... if this is an issue to you then don't disable them!

As I stated I do not have the Restart/Shutdown issue & Eddie has already informed you that that is not the issue or solution. He represents Microsoft & you do not.

'This is not the issue.  As Jason pointed out making these random changes may put your device in a state that could impact future flights.  It is random in nature and sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.  One thing is for sure, the quicker you restart/shutdown after logging in, the less likely you are to have an issue.  So if you restart, make a change, then quickly restart it may work.  As has been stated, we have identified the cause, and are working on a fix.  Please be patient."

-Eddie

Never Give Up!

Don,

Thanks for the feedback link.  We have identified the root cause and the fix is coming soon.  :)

-Eddie

Thanks! I installed the CU to 19002.1002 and all is working normally now. Restart or Shutdown works normally within seconds.

Don

KB4526447 fixes this issue.

I used the Update & Restart under power to restart.

On the desktop I used normal restart and it spun.

I powered off and on, it said updating and finished.

The Laptop I used the Update & Restart under Power

and it worked fine.

Same thing here.  I can now restart and shutdown as usual.  Thanks MSFT