Windows 10 taking over 1 hour to boot

I have a 3.3 ghz processor, 8 gig ram and 4 terrabytes of native hard drive space. My system was working fine and fast with windows 7.

Just upgraded to windows 10 and after logging in with the system password my screen goes black, the mouse disappears and the computer seems to just be sitting there. 

Went through that cycle a couple of times waiting for over an hour to see if the system would finally get me to the desk top.

On one of these cycles finally called support and waited 40 minutes to speak to someone. Once someone came on the line, I went to the computer and it had "magically" gotten to the desktop. Hmmmm.

The technician I spoke to said windows 10 takes awhile to index everything. Didn't elaborate. 

This morning I went to log in after leaving the computer on overnight. Unfortunately the computer had gone into sleep mode and once I  logged on guess what? Yup, the same black screen.

My question is does windows 10 have to index ALL of my files every time it starts up before it allows me to get to my desktop so I can start working?

If so are there ways I can tweak the system so I can to work on my computer without having to turn the computer on an hour before I plan to start work?

The windows system may boot faster but if getting to the desk top is this slow, give me back windows 7.

Also a side note. If this is some strategy to get me to get rid of my native hard drive space and RENT some space on a cloud somewhere, there is going to be some smoke in the city.

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2018 Views 8,190 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Perhaps you need to refresh the PC. Sounds to me like something hasn't installed properly. Also check for the latest Video drivers.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I too have the same problem. Both my laptops upgraded to windows 10. One of the laptops was running windows 7 professional and the other windows 8.1. Both 4GB of ram, 64bit system and Dells. It started doing this after the the latest update. I left them on over night and they were at the login screen by morning. I had shutdown one and the other went into sleep and now they are stuck on the screen with the circling dots. Has been this way for at least half hour now. I need help. Can't deal with this anymore. 

154 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you mean before you get to the login screen.? So both of these machines are part of the Insider program or have you done a upgrade to the official release.

If it is the official release you need to post in Windows or Windows 10 section.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem on my PC. First when I updated from windows 8.1 to windows 10 everything was working perfectly. Now it takes about an hour for me to get to login screen. It also takes a while for me to get back from the sleep mode. 

I have tested different things, advices from the internet - nothing helps. What is the problem and how can it be fixed?

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Try out a clean boot. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929135

Have you got a virus scanner. Do a full scan and use Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/ just to be sure.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much!

It seems like the totally clean boot have helped. (I've done some partial cleaning in processes before). But how will it affect my computer in general? I guess my anti-virus is disabled now?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It's now a process of elimination. Start turning things back on until you find the PC slows down and look at what is causing the slow down.

Perhaps turn the virus scanner back on first and see what happens. Do the full scans I mentioned earlier.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, before your message I have allready disable almost everything except Avast Antivirus. Maybe that's what was slowing start of my computer down? I'm not sure.

Would starting the Avast manually each time I login work as a solution?

Sorry this didn't help.

I doubt it.

I have Avast and didn't notice any real difference when I installed it.

Try uninstalling Avast, reboot and go to their website and install fresh again. When you have Avast installed again type Defender into search and select the desktop app in results. It should say it is not monitoring the sytem, which is correct because Avast should take over.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'm back to where I was. After the computer was turned off the whole night I am not able to start it again. 40 minutes have gone with a black screen, no sign of login screen so far.

So the clean boot did not help.

Sorry this didn't help.