Windows 10 - Office 2013 Update fails with error code 0x80240017

Hi All,

I have been installing Windows 10 and I am currently running build 10130.

I went ahead and installed Office 2013 which was fine and no issue. Ran a windows update and this detected that my office needed some updates and started to download those to my computer and after that it said it needed a reboot. I rebooted and upon going to settings i got error that the update for office has failed.

It does say (i have multiple of them) Security Update fro Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 KB2975815 64bit edition - Error 0x80240017. I have the same one for word and Project. Affected updates are as listed below.

KB2975816

KB2965307

KB2956164

KB2986171

KB3054830

Troubleshooting

What i did was that i stoped windows update services, cleared the folder under windows/Softwaredistribution and deleted all the files i could and restarted the download. This went through once more and still it seems to be failing for these updates. Downloading the KB2975816 and running it manually provides a error that the update is already is installed? Now if i look in Control Panel and Program and features and installed updates I can't find this patch. Yet the security update estate that this has already been installed.

Thank you

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

It’s really unfortunate that you are facing this issue. But don't worry we will try to help you out.

I suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

1. Press Windows key + X.
  2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

4. To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Also I would suggest you to Reset Windows update components and place your computer in Clean boot state and try installing the updates.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Perform a clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Note: The troubleshooting steps in the above links are meant for windows 8, however, you can use the same for windows 10 tech preview as well.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2021 Views 7,621 Applies to: