A single device model like the Lumia 950 or the Lumia 950 XL, will ship in many configurations around the world for various network types, mobile operators, device resellers, etc. When we update mobile devices we can target devices based on the OS build version, the model, or the specific configuration down to a particular mobile operator in a particular country. Mobile operators and Windows Insiders get early access to Insider Preview builds and Cumulative Updates to test and provide feedback on our changes prior to rolling these updates out to Windows 10 devices. In cases where firmware updates affect the software that talks to a mobile operator network, our teams work closely with that mobile operator to evaluate and approve the firmware update for devices they support. Specially for the Lumia 950 and 950 XL models, to date we have shipped firmware updates to 700+ device configurations and still have additional mobile operators evaluating future updates.
Currently the system that publishes firmware updates is only targeting devices that are configured to receive production updates. We have teams working on the tools to make this happen seamlessly for Windows Insiders, but it will take a few weeks to get this rolled out in a way that works for current and future firmware updates to Windows Insiders.
While we are getting this update experience fixed; we have a temporary workaround in place to make things easier for our Windows Insiders. Within the Windows Insider application on Windows 10 Mobile we have added a new option called ‘Production’. This will point your device back to the production update servers where you will be able to get any firmware updates that are available for your devices. Once you have the update you will then need to go back to the Windows Insider application and reselect the Fast or Slow ring. Please be advised, if you don’t reselect Fast or Slow with any build newer than 10586 your device will be in a state which may not receive any future Insider Preview builds or Cumulative Updates. Full steps to complete this process are as follows:
- Open the Windows Insider application on your device
- Select “Get preview builds”
- There will now be three options to choose from: Insider Fast, Insider Slow, and Production
- Select “Production”
- Read the presented message and tap “accept” to confirm your selection
- Your device may prompt to reboot. If not, complete a manual reboot.
- After the reboot, check for updates. If available, your device will display an update to receive the newest firmware.
- Settings > Updates & security > Phone update > (check for updates)
- If the device shows a “no updates available” message, your device has the most recently available firmware
- If available, complete the update by following the on-screen directions
- Once installed, re-open the Windows Insider application
- Select your desired update ring (Insider Fast or Insider Slow) and reboot as prompted
- Your device now has the newest firmware available and is set to receive the next flight when launched for your selected ring
Note: It is worth reiterating: while some devices have a firmware update available in select countries or on particular mobile operator network, other device variants may receive firmware updates at a later time.
As with any part of the Windows Insider Program, we will continue to evaluate your feedback to make improvements to Windows and the Windows Insider Program. If there are any additional questions, please post them below.
Thank you as always Insiders!