WIN 10 will not install. Windows Update error 0x80070005 or 80070005 keeps appearing.

I have tried several times to install win 10 update today, but after downloading and preparing it turns of installation with:

WIN 10 will not install. Windows Update error 0x80070005 or 80070005 keeps appearing.

My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with Intel Core i7 4500u processor, 500 GB SSD drive with plenty of free GB. I have been running win 8.1 for one year without any problems and windows update has never had any update problems.

After the error above I have installed a new update from windows update, which was installed without any problems.

Therefore it seems to be the win 10 update itself which is the problem and not the windows update feature.

I have disabled my antivirus sw (Kaspersky Total Securety) during the process.

I have downloaded the win 10 installation file MediaCreationToolx64.exe to try to install win 10 via this. However, when I open the file, user control opens and ask for permission to run the file, as it makes changes to the system. By accepting this, nothing happens. Have tried to do the same when opening the file in administrator mode, again without luck. So the exe file cannot be executed either.

Any ideas of what to do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update the 10th of October 2015

Now I have tried to install windows 10 on my two other PC's:

The one is an old stationary PC 32 bit, which has been running all versions of windows for the past 10 years. Right now it is running windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit.

The other one is a laptop 64 bit, which is running windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.

Both PC's are approved to be able to run Windows 10. But both of them fails installing and returns with error code 80070005 like the top tuned Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop already reported.

Interesting that we are talking about 3 complete different PC's in age and technology. All three approved to be able to run windows 10 and all three failing with the same error code.

I can only see one common cause ………. Windows 10!

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2018 Views 1,181 Applies to:

Hi,

I am sorry to know that you are unable to upgrade to Windows 10.

If not, then we recommend waiting until the your PC receives a notification to upgrade, and then following the instructions provided. Clean installation works fine if Windows 10 was already activated on the system.

If you still want to install Windows then I suggest you to try the steps provided below.

How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683  

How to: A list of things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.  

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-a-list-of-things-to-do-if-windows-10-setup/eba3c864-d9fe-4f8e-9468-81b1f89473ed

When will I get my free upgrade to Windows 10?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/when-will-i-get-my-free-upgrade-to-windows-10/30c8bcc1-13d2-4965-8713-54be75179317?tm=1438199325034

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Get help with Windows 10 upgrade and installation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-install-errors-windows-10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.             

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Kalpana for taking your time to help me.

Maybe I haven't expressed myself clear enough.

You recommend waiting until the my PC receives a notification to upgrade, and then following the instructions provided. This was exactly what happened. I received the notification and it worked as I have explained.

Sorry this didn't help.

None of these solutions helped. I still get the 80070005 error. Windows Update with Windows 10 installation pops up every time I boot up, and end on that error.

Also, Media Creation Tool does not launch. UAC asks me to allow the program to run, then nothing. Same happens if I try to run as administrator.

I run Win7 x64 on Dell E6420 laptop.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same two problems on a HP laptop with Win 8.1 and have, so far, wasted 8 days on it. I also had them on my PC with Win 8.1., but this eventually went away after 5 days! So only 1 computer to go, but it seems a total waste of time trying any more fixes or trying to get any sense out of MS - this error is reported dozens of times on the site, maybe many more. If you're lucky, you get one reply that doesn't solve it, then nothing after this

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having exact same problem:

1. Was prompted to download/install Win 10 upgrade/update

2. Have done so 2 dozen (or more) times

3. After download and within moments of initialization of installation, ERROR CODE 80070005 (which codes as a PERMISSIONS ERROR)

4. Have reset PERMISSIONS as Administrator several times - although all PERMISSIONS reported as ADMINISTRATOR prior ?

5. All extraneous programs are shut off - including antivirus/anti-malware (after running these several times)

6. I have gleaned from a January 2015 posting (pre-Win 10 official release) that a dual drive (non raid) system might cause install hangup and can disengage second (D: drive ) if necessary ...

BUT:

I await further information before restructuring my system - chasing at a phantom ERROR that many with many varied systems seem to have encountered?

HP Pavillion 1270US

WIN 7 Home Premium  64 BIT with Service Pack 1

INTEL Core2 Duo P8600 @2.4Ghz

4GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

I know, not much new info to add to this thread, but... feeling as a guinea pig in the grand experiment sucks?

Will watch here and within community to see how this issue is eventually addressed generally

Sorry this didn't help.