What if Windows 10 Fails

Putting some reality into Microsoft face. What if You fail in the windows 10 launch with the current debated changes you have made in version 9926.

Removal of choice in upgrades

Remove of likable features

Talks of remove of control panel

Removal of likable start menu

Removal of desktop customizing.

Most windows users don't care for mobile PC operating System

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Can you say Sinofsky and Balmer?  :-(  The same fate awaits if they don't listen. 

Putting some reality into Microsoft face. What if You fail in the windows 10 launch with the current debated changes you have made in version 9926.

What do you mean exactly? The in place upgrade routine is pretty much same way it has been since Windows Vista, unless you are referring to the options during OOBE and the clarity with selecting things like Local vs Microsoft Account, which is there.

Be specific. This is OS like ordering pizza for 1.5 billion people, you can't please everyone.

Windows key + X > Control Panel - Microsoft will not be removing completely.

Start menu in Windows 10 vs Start Screen in Windows 8/8.1

With Windows 10, you are getting the familiar experience of Windows 7:

- Instant Search

- Scroll through program list (albeit, I don't like the alphabetical listing, prefer how it looks in build 9841)

- You can actually resize it

- Quicker access to power options and multiple accounts optons.

What do you mean?

- You can still add shortcuts.

- Apply themes

- Add multiple desktops

- Duplicate desktop across monitors

- Future builds will add the option to pin tiles to the desktop

- And thats the purpose of Windows 10, its a balance, its more intelligent, its actually more refined about which device or environment its being used in.

Also, Windows 10 development does not stop at launch.

Also, we have months to go and the feedback well help refine it before launch.

Pessimism is not an option here.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com
pessimism is an option when we are halfway through the design period and there is not a thing solid as concrete other than the name. just failed idea after failed idea!

What do you mean exactly? The in place upgrade routine is pretty much same way it has been since Windows Vista, unless you are referring to the options during OOBE and the clarity with selecting things like Local vs Microsoft Account, which is there.

Be specific. This is OS like ordering pizza for 1.5 billion people, you can't please everyone.

Windows key + X > Control Panel - Microsoft will not be removing completely.

Start menu in Windows 10 vs Start Screen in Windows 8/8.1

With Windows 10, you are getting the familiar experience of Windows 7:

- Instant Search

- Scroll through program list (albeit, I don't like the alphabetical listing, prefer how it looks in build 9841)

- You can actually resize it

- Quicker access to power options and multiple accounts optons.

What do you mean?

- You can still add shortcuts.

- Apply themes

- Add multiple desktops

- Duplicate desktop across monitors

- Future builds will add the option to pin tiles to the desktop

- And thats the purpose of Windows 10, its a balance, its more intelligent, its actually more refined about which device or environment its being used in.

Also, Windows 10 development does not stop at launch.

Also, we have months to go and the feedback well help refine it before launch.

Pessimism is not an option here.

It is not me you have to convince, it is the community of forums that review and write their dislike. To me I don't care, if my games play good or better then before, that is all I care about. Reading the forums of other sites, they are not happy with 9926. These are people just like you. Most have submitted the dislikable.

I totally agree. Microsoft needs to impress with Win10. No need to re invent the wheel, just give us some cool stuff alongside improved functionality,rocksolid stability and Security.

Instead we get bland,boring,dumbed down for "1GB ram" requirement .

No doubt TechPreview seems to use resources better. Kinda like a golfcart next to a DodgeSRT Hellcat

I am hearing the need for whizz bang features, but I am not hearing any form of suggestions of what those could be.

Remember, its an operating system, a key role of the operating system is to manage the resources of your computer: hardware and software, provide a file system.

Windows 10 does that exceptionally well.

On top of that, we have services built into the operating system which include:

OneDrive with PC syncing which makes your personal files available across the web and devices you own.

You can stream your music using XBOX Music.

Digital assistant for finding information locally, across the network and web.

Support for modern hardware advances that are available.

Yes, these are subtle, but its probably true of any operating system today. Windows still provides that level of balance with open hardware support, application compatibility, integrated and cohesive services that spans desktop, cloud and mobile.

Its more than the operating system. You might say why not choose Linux then. Well, Linux in the traditional sense of a desktop operating system still lacks the industry support, the fit and finish of Windows 10.

I have countless times ready the many post of persons who left Windows 8.1 and came back realizing that what you might see as a flop, is a better flop than the alternative.

If you even look at features that are not on the surface, Windows 10 shines, deployment is much easier, you can now reimage a device without having to kill the OEM install. Thats a boon for Enterprise customers. You can define your own upgrade cadence and mix it up on a departmental basis.

Windows 10 does not end with the initial RTM release, remember, this is a servicing model and it will be refined throughout the life of the device its installed on.

I honestly can't get an understanding of whats really wrong with the operating system.

Is it hardware support? Still to be defined, since its partly industry responsibility.

Is it software support? Again, this more than just Microsoft.

Is it usability?

I launch Microsoft Word just as easy as I would Windows 7:

Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Word

I get that immersive benefit of modern apps with ability to get a glance information without having to launch apps, I can easily work between classic desktop apps and modern forward apps that are just as easy to use.

Is it the Control Panel? Well, it could use more color, but what does it not do? Is it the nostalgia of not seeing a sea of Control Panel items?

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Andre you have been in my opinion the MVP of this forum, providing helpful and insightful answers.  In contrast Microsoft Support Engineers have been bizarrely off the mark.

I'm a little surprised that you seem completely baffled by the litany of complaints that a small number of users (myself included) have been lodging against this latest 9926 build.

All I want is for Windows 7 to go back on Mainstream support - it does everything I need from Microsoft.  I don't need any new whiz-bang features, indeed, I detest the added features that are not removable.  For me, Modern apps are useless.  Perhaps someday they will be, but right now the ecosystem is on life support.  Microsoft seems to acknowledge this by putting their best "apps" on Android and iOS.  Having said that, I can live with removing Metro tiles and pretending it's not there in the background, so it's not a big deal if I can remove them.  I have no use for Cortana, but I can disable it.

The real problem I have is Bing - I can't have Bing resident and unremovable in search.

If Windows 10 had a decent start menu like Windows 7 has, and I could remove Bing from Search, that would make it acceptable to me.  I don't want to have to use a third party start menu just to make it usable.  One thing that really gets in the way is having Metro apps mixed in with real Windows programs.

The problem with PC Settings is not that it's ugly, but that the settings it lets you control are extremely limited, essentially a crippled analog of what the Control Panel could do.  If that functionality is preserved, I don't care where it goes, but crippling settings gives less control.

I'd also like for Microsoft to give the option of holding encryption keys, so that the user can decide if they want the added security and risk of holding the keys only to themselves, or sharing it with Microsoft so that it can be recovered.

Andre, when I was asked if I would tell my friends to upgrade to Win10 my response was "Why would I do that?"   Free is not a good enough reason.     Ask me again four and a half years from now.

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-feature-suggestions/filters/top

Please read Microsoft

DvD maker

Windows games the way we use to know

Get rid of the current metro start, dock or undock

Tool to customize taskbar, quick launch

Customize folders, and icons

merge allsettings with control panel

these are some.

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-feature-suggestions/filters/top

Please read Microsoft

DvD maker

Windows games the way we use to know

Get rid of the current metro start, dock or undock

Tool to customize taskbar, quick launch

Customize folders, and icons

merge allsettings with control panel

these are some.

Add

Bluray movie support

Updated Media center

Two versions Pro and Enterprise

Better driver support and installation process

Design with the understanding that most don't have 1000 Mb Internet, or even 10.

Discussion Info

Last updated September 14, 2019 Views 1,589 Applies to: