"We couldn't update the system reserved partition" WIndows 10 Tech Preview

I keep getting this error message when I try to install the Windows 10 tech Preview. I'm running Windows 8.1. I have two hard drives, a 500GB Samsung evo 840 and a 1TB Seagate HDD. The Samsung is my primary. Any suggestions?
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Antonio,

Thank you for your interest in using Windows 10 Technical Preview.

From what you have described, it appears that there is some issue with the Windows 10 Technical Preview installation. Let’s try to resolve this issue in Windows 8.1 and then try the upgrade once again. Let’s try these steps to resolve the issue:

Method 1:

First, I would suggest you to run the System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Refer to these steps to perform a SFC scan:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Method 2:

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I would suggest you to try the following steps:

a)      Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

b)      In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

c)       Close the command prompt after this step.

Now, restart the computer and try installing Windows 10 technical Preview. Keep us updated on the results. I would also appreciate if you could let us know the make and model of the computer and the system specifications in your reply.

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you further help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The system reserved partition on Windows 10 requires 350MB and this partition is 100MB on Windows 7. What size it has on Windows 8.1 I don't know. How Microsoft is going to solve this for all users that will upgrade their Windows 7 for free I don't know but this will create issues for all of them.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does anyone know an alternative for this ? Nearly every file in the sfcdetails.txt file could not be updated or fixed ? Would it be easier to reinstall do you think ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ganesh,

I have tired all the steps mentioned in your comments, However I am still getting the same error message when trying to install the windows 10 technical preview. Initially there was amd64 cnbj2530.dpb file corruption. After following all the steps provided in the support forum including the above mentioned solutions, the file corruption is resolved but I still cannot install W10 TP :-( . Could you please suggest the next step.

Processor: Intel i5-3450

RAM: 12gb

Note: I had earlier installed W10 TP successfully on the same machine from same OS version and had re installed Windows 8.1 from the DVD.

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sachin,

Many users have confirmed that they were able to fix the issue by increasing the size of the system reserved  partition. Refer to the following link and check if that helps in fixing the issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/we-couldnt-update-system-reserved-partition-error/0630b5e9-7913-40c4-908f-37648ddb29ef?page=2

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was on Build 9879 in a dual boot configuration. The upgrade to Build 9926 failed with the same error message. Today I extended partition 0 from 48 MB to just over 350 MB, having read this tread. I used EaseUS Partition Master. From that moment the upgrade was an easy piece of cake and I'm now on Build 9926!

JanHaugseth, thanks a lot for your contribution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello All

I was getting the error  "We Couldn't update the system reserved partition" while trying to install Windows 10 and the undoing of the changes was happening. By reading the posts in the internet by many other people, I decided to use AOMEI partition assistant software and address this problem. I have summarized in the following steps what essentially I did to solve this problem. I had windows 7 professional in my laptop.

Introduction:

1. You find in the system partition a small partition created by windows named either as Data or System reserved. 

2. Depending on what windows you have on your device, the size of this partition may vary from 50 MB to 100 MB

3. In order for the Windows 10 installation to go through smoothly, you need to re size this between 100 MB to 450 MB

How to do the re-sizing:

Step 1. Check your system partition map to find out how much UN-ALLOCATED space you have. You need just a size to make the System reserved partition to a total size of 450 MB.

Step 2. If you don't have any Un-allocated space, then free up a size mentioned in the step 1 from an existing partition to create un-allocated space

Step 3: Merge or add this  to the System reserved partition.

Step 4: Then the entire disk space shall be rearranged / optimized to have a smooth restart (if this step is not performed, you may get into bigger trouble and you computer may not restart)

Step 5. restart the computer and now if you allow the installation of Windows 10, it will happen smoothly. 

This has worked for me

I used AOMEI partition assistant Pro software to do this task very easily. This is not a free software.

I hope this information helps. Good luck

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got this problem too and I found desperate emails in several European languages. It shows you again that Windows can be a nuisance. Maybe we should learn to live with it. On serveal old laptops of mine Linux Lubuntu is running flawlessly. This windows misery shows you that it is not always true that in a free market system the best product wins. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Finally solved it: 

Search Disk Management in Start, right click on the partition with your current OS and set it as active. 

For some reason Windows does not automatically set a new system as active on SSD.

Hope it helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get an Error 87 when I run Restore health

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 12,083 Applies to: