For a brief time earlier this week some devices that are not supported in the Windows Insider Program at this time, but were registered by Insiders for Insider Preview updates, were able to download the latest Windows Mobile Insider
Preview build (10535.1004). We are not offering updates for these devices and will continue to only support phones listed
It is our top priority to investigate the best solution for each device model that downloaded the build.
We will post updates here as more details become available for each device.
Update 9/25/15 – For devices on Windows Phone 8.1 in Pending State:
If your device is not on the supported list, has downloaded the Windows Mobile Insider Preview, but has not yet installed it, you may reset your device to remove the update. Doing so will remove the install files and prevent the device from ending up in a potentially unusable state.
Checking for Pending Updates:
To check for downloaded updates that are pending install:
- Open Settings
- Scroll to and tap Phone update
- View information under Update status
If there is a pending update showing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10514/10536.1000, your device can be reset to remove this update.
To remove this update:
- Back up any desired content, including photos, videos, contacts, etc. This is vital as doing a reset will remove all data from your device, including the pending install files. If you have data backup enabled for your device, manually create a new backup/restore point.
- Once all data is backed up, follow these steps to reset the device:
- Open Settings
- Scroll to and tap About
- Tap More info
- Tap reset your phone
- Confirm the device reset action
- Once the reset completes, you will be able to restore your backup, migrate data back to the device, reinstall applications, etc.
Once the reset has completed, it is recommended that you do not enable Insider Preview builds within the Windows Insider application on your device until a future time wherein your device may be added to the supported device list.
Update 9/26/15 – Windows Phone Recovery Tool now supports additional devices.
We have updated the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to support additional devices. The below devices can be removed from the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview program by recovering the device to Windows Phone 8\8.1.
- Download and install Windows Phone Recovery Tool to your computer. If possible, make sure that your phone's battery is fully charged.
- When the installation has finished, start the application and the main screen will appear:
- If your phone is not automatically detected, disconnect all phones from your computer and press My phone was not detected at the bottom of the main screen.
- If prompted, select the phone manufacturer.
- Connect your phone to your computer with a compatible USB cable.
- Wait for your computer to detect the connected phone and follow the screen instructions. If the phone is not connected within one minute you can try to restart your phone: Keep USB connected, press and hold the Power and Volume down keys simultaneously. Release the pressed keys when phone vibrates.
- Press Install software to start installing the software to your phone.
*Note* For any given device, such as the HTC 8X, there will be many variant images that are needed depending on region, mobile operator,
etc. We are working to add more of these variant images, however not all are currently available in the tool. we will continue to provide updates as we add additional images.