Surface Pro 3 won't detect build 10158 or 10159

Hi Folks,

I have a surface pro 3 running with Windows 10 Pro build 10130 and its on the fast ring, checking for updates reports nothing, doesn't seem to find build 10158 or 10159, any ideas?

Best,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 Technical preview.

I can understand how frustrating it can be when things don’t work as expected. I'd be glad to help you.

I would suggest you to Reset Windows update components and place your computer in Clean boot state and try installing the updates.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for your offer to help us.

But "reset Windows Update components" which is not the solution to this issue that had already been verified by many experienced computer users.

Please see the following thread, in there Andre Da Costa also offers "reset Windows Update components" as the solution, someone try it, but it is verified no any help to deal the issue.
Not show build 10159 on my Windows Update

Most experienced users who cannot receive any "fbl_impressive Enterprise 10159" after installed "fbl_impressive Enterprise 10158", all are using a Microsoft account rather than using a local account, and all already had been tried the "reset Windows Update components" approach repeatly, but all the results are no any helps, all the results also are disheartening.

Like me, I am using the Microsoft account, I am in build 10158 now, but I always cannot receive any "fbl_impressive Enterprise 10159" after I try and try again repeatly to click the [Check for updates] button.

I use Notepad to make a batch file that reads as follows and save it as "%UserProfile%\Documents\ResetWU.bat":
net stop BITS
net stop wuauserv
net stop AppIDSvc
net stop CryptSvc
net stop msiserver
del "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
takeown /F "%WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution" /R /A /D Y
icacls "%WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution" /grant Administrators:F /T /C
rd /s /q "%WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution"
takeown /F "%WinDir%\System32\catroot2" /R /A /D Y
icacls "%WinDir%\System32\catroot2" /grant Administrators:F /T /C
rd /s /q "%WinDir%\System32\catroot2"
sc sdset BITS D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
cd /d %WinDir%\System32
regsvr32 /s atl.dll
regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /s mshtml.dll
regsvr32 /s shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /s browseui.dll
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /s scrrun.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml6.dll
regsvr32 /s actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /s shell32.dll
regsvr32 /s initpki.dll
regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32 /s qmgr.dll
regsvr32 /s qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltux.dll
regsvr32 /s muweb.dll
regsvr32 /s wuwebv.dll
net start BITS
net start wuauserv
net start AppIDSvc
net start CryptSvc
net start msiserver

(Note: in fact, it is not necessary for Windows 10 to install the latest Windows Update Agent.
I already tried: downloaded the latest Windows Update Agent for Windows 8.1 which near Windows 10 version:
Windows8-RT-KB2937636-x64.msu
and installed it, but it prompted me:
The update is not applicable to your computer.)

Then I open a "Command Prompt (Admin)" window by one of the following ways:
Keyboard: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
Mouse: rightclick Start button, click "Command Prompt (Admin)", click "Yes" button
Touch: press-and-hold Start button, tap "Command Prompt (Admin)", tap "Yes" button

Then in the "Command Prompt (Admin)" window, I execute the following command:
%UserProfile%\Documents\resetwu

After restart the computer, I click the [Check for updates] button of Windows Update, but still no any "fbl_impressive Enterprise 10159" found.

As follows:

Windows Update

Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, ‏‎10:06

[Check for updates]

Available updates will be downloaded and installed automatically.

Advanced options

Choose how updates are installed

Automatic (recommended)

[V] Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.

Get Insider builds
You are all set to receive Insider builds.

Choose how you get Insider builds. It will take some time to receive an Insider build after changing your settings.
Fast

I even tried to install a new build 10158 Windows system cleanly and freshly by installation media, but still fail.

Just use the install.esd file of the build 10158, transfer it to en_windows_10_enterprise_10158_x64_dvd.iso, and then burn this ISO file to a DVD, start Setup.exe from the DVD to install a new Windows system, and in this new Windows I click the [Check for updates] button of Windows Update, but still no any "fbl_impressive Enterprise 10159" found.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I tried the manual steps in the article you referenced. The build both 10158 or 10159 did not present itself afterwards. I also verified that I am logged into my surface with a Microsoft account.

I checked for updates this morning EST and received a defender update so the update system seems to be working. Just haven't received any build updates.

note two of my other machines have updated to build 10159 without issue. One is a desktop, the other is an HP tablet hybrid, the machine we got at Build 2015.

the surface pro 3 still seems to be unable to get the new build 10158 or 10159.

any ideas?

Thanks

Joe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joe,

Please refer to max green's replies on “cant see build 10159 in windows update

max green replied on July 2, 2015
"I have tested using fresh 10074 & 10122 both work well & find the new 10159 version, just need your MSA & FAST update."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 245 Applies to: