"Restart your phone before you can start getting Insider Preview builds"

***Edited 2017.03.23 @ 11:35am PST***

For those of you who have hit this issue, did you have Bitlocker enabled on your phone?  Please post in this thread with details!

***Edited 2017.03.21 @ 6:25PM PST***

Hello Insiders!

Build 15063 is out and available in the Fast ring!  After installing this build, you may see the following message on your device:

"We need to restart your phone before you can start getting Insider Preview builds"

We wanted to bring this to your attention as rebooting your device may have originally caused you to end up in an undesired state post-reboot.  Insiders began reporting this issue in this forum thread.

What happened to the device?

• During the reboot process the device could possibly hang and display an all blue screen.  It would fail to boot into the OS as expected if it hit this state.

Why did this happen?

• As part of this release, we performed some flight settings cleanup on the device.  While the actual root cause is under investigation, there appeared to have been a settings conflict which caused the device to fail to boot properly.

Will I hit this issue?

• No additional devices should end up in this state.  We have implemented a service-side change that prevents this conflict from occurring.

My device is already on the blue screen.  What do I do?

• You'll need to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to restore your device.  Once you complete this process, you should not hit this issue a second time.

How will I know when it is safe to complete this reboot?  Will this reboot be required?

• You may safely reboot your device if prompted to do so.  You will not hit the original bug as reported by other Insiders.

We know it's frustrating to hit a bug where you have to reset your device.  We do our best to prevent these issues from going out to Insiders, but on occasion something makes its way out.  We'll provide additional details and updates as we have more information to share.

Thank you as always,

Jason

Discussion Info

Last updated March 28, 2019 Views 5,954 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks for the great FAQ; this is great communication on the issue. I hope people are able to find their way here before they hit that notification! I, unfortunately, got into the blue screen state. I'd be happy to answer questions if you need to ask them, here or on Twitter at @waded.

The biggest thing that could've helped me recover is if WDRT installed 14393 instead of 10586 on the Lumia 950XL. I know this has been requested often. Clearer communication on when a 14393->15063 path for mobile will be available will help too. (An update was published March 21st about the 14393->15063 path for PC on the blog, but the mobile bit continues to not be updated, and not necessarily even correct, as I was offered 14393->15051, not 14393->15055.)

I too got the 15051 build as the next step in the reset process.  I'm finding to be a very long process for the download of that build to complete.  I've left it running overnight.  

I too got the 15051 build as the next step in the reset process.  I'm finding to be a very long process for the download of that build to complete.  I've left it running overnight.  

I've heard the same from others. I'm going to sit at 14393 until the next step is certainly 15063+ (trying to simulate a non-Insider path) vs. taking an unplanned/unexpected step to 15051.

***Edited 2017.03.21 @ 6:25PM PST***

Hello Insiders!

Build 15063 is out and available in the Fast ring!  After installing this build, you may see the following message on your device:

snip

We know it's frustrating to hit a bug where you have to reset your device.  We do our best to prevent these issues from going out to Insiders, but on occasion something makes its way out.  We'll provide additional details and updates as we have more information to share.

Thank you as always,

Jason

Thanks Jason for the update.

Hitting a bug or two like this occasionally is to be expected I guess, for those like myself using Insider Preview on our daily devices is a huge risk we take, at the least, I recovered a seriously locked phone with WDRT.

I had updated build 15063 from pervious build (fast ring ) on Lumia 650  , I got this rebooting problem...

I downloaded the windows device recovery tool and then plugged in the device using USB 

Then downloaded  the original image (1.87gb ) - th2 build ....then recovered ..

And then restored settings, apps, and data from backup

And had updated to rs1 build 

Some one got this problem ..   this is how  to recover..

after all this done 

when you set  the windows insider on ,    

On, my lumia 650,   I get the build 15055  

and then , as MS says ,  we will get 15063 

so, if I  get done all recovery ,   and  update  rs 1 build and   get   15055 and then , 15065 

after install 15065  , when finished update,    o.k with restart ... no problem with reboot ...  right?

I've heard the same from others. I'm going to sit at 14393 until the next step is certainly 15063+ (trying to simulate a non-Insider path) vs. taking an unplanned/unexpected step to 15051.

That's where I'm headed as well.  Overnight didn't budge from the 81% it reached, and after going through the leave and return to Insider via settings and restarts trick that has been applied to similar situations in the past, I find myself stuck again at 76%.  I've tried 4 times to get over the 15051 hurdle to no avail.  Time to sit this out, unless someone has another trick to try. 

I can honestly say that if my iPhone (primary phone) behaved this way, I'd kick it to the curb.  Luckily this is a testing device only.  But I do support a larger number of users, and I can assure you I'll never recommend a Microsoft based smart phone as a result of my experiences to date in this eco-system.  There's a reason this platform has failed to grow any market share.

I can honestly say that if my iPhone (primary phone) behaved this way, I'd kick it to the curb.  Luckily this is a testing device only.  But I do support a larger number of users, and I can assure you I'll never recommend a Microsoft based smart phone as a result of my experiences to date in this eco-system.  There's a reason this platform has failed to grow any market share.

While I am with you 100% based on my Insider Preview experiences, I have to say in all fairness that whenever I have been on the RTM version of Windows (like 14393), it has behaved flawlessly.  

That said, the last three or so insider builds have been excruciatingly awful and there is no way I am going to actually USE them day to day so I'm wondering what kind of feedback MS is getting about everyday use.  

By contrast, I have been running the latest BETA of Android Nougat as my daily driver ever since it came out.  And just today, I loaded the first developer preview (not even Beta) of Android "O".  It too seems to be running flawlessly.  If Google can do it, why can't MS?  I suspect the answer is that MS is not taking Windows Mobile seriously enough to allocate sufficient resources to the project.  Further sinking the sinking ship.  I wish they would either get serious or just kill it.  

Paul

just had this bug occur right now after a WDRT reset and then updating.