PC Build Install: "Some Update Were Cancelled" [Workaround Included]

Hello Insiders!

We're seeing some reports of the following error message displaying on the Update screen in settings:

"Some updates were cancelled. We'll keep trying in case new updates become available."

We've identified the bug already and a fix is in the works.  In the mean time, the workaround is to delete one registry entry:

• Click Start
  • Type Regedit
  • Launch "regedit (run command)"
  • Navigate to and select the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RequestedAppCategories\8b24b027-1dee-babb-9a95-3517dfb9c552

• Delete the selected registry key
  • Reboot your PC
  • Re-scan for updates

This should resolve the issue.  Post up if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Jason

Discussion Info

Last updated October 11, 2018 Views 42,423 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am having this problem with build 16281 updating to 16288.1 so I performed exactly as suggested. However in my case this has not worked for this build. Any ideas?

Please see prior post.

Founder of the STI Project

Hello Insiders!

We're seeing some reports of the following error message displaying on the Update screen in settings:

"Some updates were cancelled. We'll keep trying in case new updates become available."

We've identified the bug already and a fix is in the works.  In the mean time, the workaround is to delete one registry entry:

• Click Start
  • Type Regedit
  • Launch "regedit (run command)"
  • Navigate to and select the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RequestedAppCategories\8b24b027-1dee-babb-9a95-3517dfb9c552

• Delete the selected registry key
  • Reboot your PC
  • Re-scan for updates

This should resolve the issue.  Post up if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Jason

I don't seem to have an Auto Update folder in the registry. Why is that?

Thanks Jason

Don't know why I didn't see your post for myself, but thanks to Max green for finding it

David

Si. traté mas de 20 veces con 17017.100. Sin embargo, mi notebook tiene windows Home y 17017 funciona bien. Algo tiene éste release que no funciona con Pro o ciertas configuraciones de hardware.

I am running 17017.100 on Windows 10 Professional with no problems (thus far).

JMacNeill

I am having the same issue, performed the steps too but the folder being asked to delete in the registry keeps coming back after reboot.
I also got with me
hola amigo, me encuentro en la 1629 de reléase preview y no puedo actualizar a la 17017.1000 la orden de reinicio es perfecta, todo bien hasta ahí. el problema empieza a cuando doy reiniciar se queda en 8% y luego sale que no se puede actualizar y que recuperara la ultima versión de Windows. el error que me sale es este  0x8000000a quisiera saber porque es, por favor alguien ayúdeme