PC Build Install: "Some Update Were Cancelled" [Workaround Included]

Hello Insiders!

We're seeing some reports of the following error message displaying on the Update screen in settings:

"Some updates were cancelled. We'll keep trying in case new updates become available."

We've identified the bug already and a fix is in the works.  In the mean time, the workaround is to delete one registry entry:

• Click Start
  • Type Regedit
  • Launch "regedit (run command)"
  • Navigate to and select the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RequestedAppCategories\8b24b027-1dee-babb-9a95-3517dfb9c552

• Delete the selected registry key
  • Reboot your PC
  • Re-scan for updates

This should resolve the issue.  Post up if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Jason

Discussion Info

Last updated November 21, 2018 Views 42,930 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thank you Jason. It worked perfectly. 

Thanks Jason

Don't know why I didn't see your post for myself, but thanks to Max green for finding it

David

Thank you Jason the fix worked for me also.

Hello Insiders!

We're seeing some reports of the following error message displaying on the Update screen in settings:

"Some updates were cancelled. We'll keep trying in case new updates become available."

We've identified the bug already and a fix is in the works.  In the mean time, the workaround is to delete one registry entry:

• Click Start
  • Type Regedit
  • Launch "regedit (run command)"
  • Navigate to and select the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RequestedAppCategories\8b24b027-1dee-babb-9a95-3517dfb9c552

• Delete the selected registry key
  • Reboot your PC
  • Re-scan for updates

This should resolve the issue.  Post up if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Jason

I don't seem to have an Auto Update folder in the registry. Why is that?

Hi Devine,

Check you are looking at the right key: There are more places where the key contains 'WindowsUpdate'.

Founder of the STI Project

Hi Jason,

First, congrats to you and your team: Of all the parts that make up the Windows eco-system, the upgrade/install part is on top of my list as being the most reliable/bug-free.

Secondly, congrats to all other teams for the last couple of builds show very good progress.

But, since you asked, yes, I have a couple of remarks/request, none of which are important, so if you are pressed for time, feel free to pretend you never read this |--)

My first remark is that I have that key present in my Registry but had no trouble during the upgrade. (you know this, I thought others should know as well).

Then I have a question about UUP. It is my understanding that it only concerns the Download phase (ok and Prepare must have changed). Am I correct when I say that if you do an Upgrade or Clean Install from (legit) ISO, then UUP plays no part in the process at all? Anything you could say about it (UUP) would be welcome.

Finally, as UUP's is clearly sending 'precise' device information over the wire, well, is there any chance of getting rid of that, somewhat annoying, second 'Restart for install of 'System Hardware Drivers'? *). It's about as annoying as having a fly landing on your nose, i.e. easily dealt with...so, no hurry.

[ For the record, for the last few builds but one, my Surface Pro 3 always had me install it twice, not so this very last build, so you can mark that one as fixed (probably)  Oops, just got that 'second' install ]

Regards,

Stephen

*) Only happens on certain machines, one of them being a SP3.

Please see prior post.

Yes I was looking at the wrong key. It's all sorted now. Thank you. 
this fix got it going for me. then I re-ran update and its now pulling down ip 15060... :|