In response to closed thread regarding "How to Test Windows 10 ARM Insider on M1 Macs using Parallels"

I posted the following problem in response to the above referenced article in trying to load Parallels and Windows 10 on my new Macbook Pro with the M1 chip.

"Hello, this is a great article but when I get to the Installation Assistant, I get the message "Unable to Detect Operating System." I have tried what I have read in other forums (e.g., making sure both files are in the same folder, etc.) but nothing seems to work. I am going to have to return my new Macbook Pro (M1) soon if I can't get this figured out. Any suggestions? Thanks!"

EddieL responded that "This is not a supported scenario" and then closed the thread. 

If I could reply to the thread, I would have the question that the article clearly states that if you sign up for the Insider Program (which I did), you could run the program. It states: As for Windows 10, support right now is unofficial, but users can actually get it running using a VHDX image provided through the Windows Insider Preview program." I was given an activation key. If I followed all these steps, why would EddieL of Microsoft Support say it was not a supported scenario?

|
Answer
Answer

From the Insider Download Page it clearly states:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewARM64

ARM64 VMs are only supported on devices that meet the pre-requisites:

• Windows 10 ARM-based PCs with a Microsoft SQ1, Microsoft SQ2, Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx, or Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 processor

• Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, build 19559 or newer

• Hyper-V enabled (instructions)

It is not Officially supported for a MacBook, that's not saying it cannot be possibly done. Any issues you would have to take up with Parallels emulator.

Regards,

Johnny

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2021 Views 188 Applies to: