How to migrate dual boot setup to new drive (SSD)

Hi all,

I have a laptop computer with a dual-boot setup- Windows 7 and Windows 10 TP, Build 9926.  I will be getting a Samsung SSD in the next few days, and I would like to migrate both OSes to the SSD, if possible.  I have USB 2.0 on this computer, and an external 2.5" drive enclosure I can use.  What's the recommended procedure for the migration I have in mind? 

Also, Win 10 TP is prompting me to activate Windows.  Should I wait until after I do the migration to activate?

Thanks!

--Doug

Answer
Answer

Hi Doug,

I've been running some tests on an Intel SSD, with Windows 7 installation and Windows 10TP. I have also used Macrium Reflect Free, to Image a back up of installations to HDD and restore to SSD.

What I've discovered is: If you fresh install W7 or W10TP directly to SSD, you have a really fast and efficient installation. The OS will have configured the installation to support the SSD (It will also create the correct system alignment that SSD requires). It is different in configuration to an installation to HDD which is then imaged to SSD. (I've just read that back to myself and I'll try to clarify)

An installation to HDD is different to an installation to SSD. There are changes to system config and services and the way they run.

SSD installations are a bit leaner and it seems to involve less needless writes to the drive.

Just a suggestion: Back up your W7 activation with a tool like Advanced Tokens Manager. Do a fresh install of W7 to the SSD - Re-activate and then add the W10TP you want to dual boot to. You will be seriously impressed.

Sorry it's not the answer to your question, but if you are able to do this, it will make a noticeable difference to performance and prolong the life of your SSD.

But whatever you choose to do; Enjoy the SSD performance, it is really impressive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 31, 2022 Views 1,446 Applies to: