How to Join the Windows Insider Program 2020 Edition

If you are interested in checking out what’s next in Windows 10 or want to help shape its future, you can join the Windows Insider Preview program. This lets you download preview versions of the operating system under development, install it, test it and give Windows engineers feedback about bugs, feature improvements or simply be on the bleeding edge. 

Windows Insider Preview builds are not intended for production purposes since builds can contain experimental features and can lead to compatibility or stability issues. Always install on a spare machine, partition or in a virtual machine. See the following article about how to dual boot:

Joining the Windows Insider Program is significantly easier than it was when I first joined back in October 2014. All that’s required is a simple sign in using Microsoft Account or Microsoft Organization account. In this article, we show you how to get started. 

Step 1.

Open your web browser then go to insider.windows.com or search for Windows Insider using your favorite search engine. 

Step 2.

Click Sign in now 

Step 3.

Sign in with your Microsoft Account.

Step 4.

Read the terms and conditions.

Accept those terms and conditions then click Register now.

You can then begin flighting Windows 10 Insider Preview builds. To learn more about how to do that, see the following article:

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/getting-started#flight 

If you are running earlier versions of Windows such as Windows 8.1 or earlier, you might need to get into the Windows Insider Preview program by downloading the latest Windows Insider ISO, which you can then use to upgrade your system

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, it's easy to join, but not so easy to leave and get your PC back to running stable, released version of Windows. Unfortunately this is not explained clear enough. That's especially when Dev channel previews is installed.

In this (and Windows 10) forum we see so many cases when user has problems with preview builds and want to go back to released version. With Beta channel that could be done by waiting new version to be released.

What is not clear for some users is that some times with serious issues in Beta channel and always in Dev channel only way back to released version is clean install!

P.S. When Microsoft has launched "Insider Program 2020 Edition"???

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

5 people found this comment helpful

·

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

Thanks for your information. I am going to work on a broader article when I have some time pertaining to joining and leaving. I created this as really a quick link for those interested in testing Windows 10 ARM on M1 Macs:

How to Test Windows 10 ARM Insider on M1 Macs using Parallels

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

P.S. When Microsoft has launched "Insider Program 2020 Edition"???

Hi Pauli,

Yep, that title kind of confusing. Suggest Andre find a more suitable one, perhaps "Updated 2020" without the "Edition" included. The way it stands now, appears as if there is a new edition of Insider program.

Pauli, thanks for bringing up one of the major complaints of users joining Dev channel not expecting to clean install to leave. Usually same story, I have too much data or programs to re-install. Well, you should not be using these builds on working computers which Andre already covered. Great. Honestly, who ever reads all the fine print.

@Andre, suggestion, please include that the Diagnostics in Settings, Privacy is set to "Full" or more recently "Optional". This one comes up quite often for users not being able to join the Insider program.

For example, Telemetry settings set via Settings, Privacy, registry entries for your info.

There is one more location in registry for Telemetry set via Group Policy but that should not come into play for most users. eg.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection

If any other thoughts come to mind, will add further suggestions. Want to thank you on your article for Clean Install and Re-Install Windows, I point many people to that article for guidance on clean installs. Hopefully it has helped many. I learned the hard way, they don't teach that stuff in Tech programs  :-)

Regards,

Edit: Just to mention, you do not necessarily have to sign in with your MS account, I run all my devices on local accounts, you can use any email as long as it was the email address you used for registering in Insider program. eg, I use *** Email address is removed for privacy *** based on Yahoo in Canada.

Johnny

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

"include that the Diagnostics in Settings, Privacy is set to "Full" or more recently "Optional". This one comes up quite often for users not being able to join the Insider program."

Microsoft has take care of that lately. I think this start when "Full" changed to "Optional".

"Get Start" button appears when privacy settings are correct.

That last paragraph is little bit confusing. Should it start "If you turn off optional..." 

This screenshot is from non-insider PC running 19042.685.

(I don't have any older build installed on any PC.)

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Pauli, was not aware of that change.

Anytime I do a clean install, I always keep default settings so would never have come across that.

Yep, that last paragraph is somewhat confusing.

Regards,

Johnny

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated April 10, 2021 Views 2,683 Applies to: