Down and out with Build 16232

This is the 3rd build in a row that I am unable to install, test, and evaluate.

Fortunately, I have a good Macrium image of 16199 on a hot-swap bay in the tower... I've used it many times in the past two weeks!

Build 16215 I could never get to work, even with a clean install. So, no test or evaluation. Failed on at least a dozen different error codes. Let's not dwell on 16215... That build was/is a mess!

Build 16226 I could get running by doing a clean install, but upon the first re-boot (for ANY reason) it would fail. I clean installed 16226 at least a dozen times over the last few days trying to run down what was going wrong and why it would come up once, and ONLY once. My best guess, in my particular case, is leaning toward some incompatibility with the AMD video drivers. My test system is AMD CPU (8 core) and AMD GPU (Radeon R7 360). When trying to get 16226 running stable, I tried the most current AMD beta, the current AMD stable, and the current AMD WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) editions.

Nothing worked.

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but with doing the clean installs we know I have eliminated all the stuff regarding 3rd party apps and so forth... This has to be a Windows vs Hardware related problem. At least that's my current thinking. Nothing on my system is really old. The MB is a Gigabyte gaming model. I can use UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) with and without Secure Boot, and also configure it for "legacy" mode. I normally start with the newest (UEFI + Secure Boot enabled) and work backwards to legacy.

Nothing worked.

So here we are at build 16232. Relief at last? Nope. Upgrade from 16199 proceeded just like the upgrade to 16226, downloaded fine. Reboot to begin installation - fine. First reboot at 30% - fine. Second reboot at 70-75% blank screens... No disk activity after 3 hours. Hit reset button on the tower. Restore 16199 and the error code on 16232 is 0x80070643... Which Ms. Dona says is a known issue they are investigating. At least 16226 and 16232 are failing with the same error code!

Down and out three builds in a row... I'm beginning to feel like I'm not wanted around here - HA! (I am the old-guy at the party).

I don't want to sound disgruntled here. I've been an insider for a long time. I do it for fun, as a hobby. Sure, it can be frustrating at times.

Bottom line: Ms. Dona says we all need to be on the same page to make the Fall update great for the retail customers. Sounds good. Thing is, Ms. Sarkar, I can't test, I can't evaluate, I can't contribute, if I can't load and run with it darling!

Regards,

Mr. Joey

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1,240 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Why Microsoft release these buged builds? Keep it in Canary version
4790K 16Gb RX580 4Gb

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It wont Install on My Surface Pro3 .Stuck at 97%, after 1.5 hours I rebooted deleted all downloaded files, redownloaded and stuck at 53% ... this is Preparing to Install by the way

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you reported your problems via the Feedback Hub, along with spec details.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm stuck on bluid 16215, have not been able to install any other build so far, they all fail either with 0x80070643 or simply won't install after reboot.

I really want to get out of 16215 since it's a very buggy build, specially not being able to write ´´ for an spanish speaking person is awfull....

any way, let's go for the third try on build 16232.

Sorry this didn't help.

No luck installing 16232.   Just like every preview build update since 16193 the process has again failed for me.  On prior updates I have tried every suggested fix out there, including re-installing 16193 from the Microsoft supplied ISO file.  The 16193 ISO installs fine - even allowing me to keep my files and settings.  Upon reboot I have made sure to disable .net 3.5.  Deleted the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\downloads folder contents and attempted the update.  Running CCLEANER, Disk Cleaner, removing Malwarebytes (it is still removed), and a half dozen other seemingly crazy ideas has not yet allowed an update since 16193.  

EVERY update (16199, 16215, 16226, and 16232) since 16193 has failed during the "updating" final phase of the install.  And my lack of success IS NOT for a lack of trying.   I took my eyes off the screen moments ago when 16232 failed, but it failed a few minutes after beginning the final "updating" phase.  That is where each update has always failed.

This is a very tiring situation.  I suppose I could invest another few days trying everything that didn't work on the prior releases - but isn't INSANITY defined as "Doing the same thing over and over - expecting a different result."?

Come on Microsoft.  You can do better than this!   I cannot imagine you are getting much quality feedback on the new builds with so much time and energy being spent overcoming problems within the install process.  

The idea behind moving to the UUP update concept might be good.  The implementation of it is poor.  My vote would be to revert to the old update installer and put a team on fixing the UUP before introducing it yet again to the insider community.  Although you can argue that UUP saves download time - I would argue that having to go through that process numerous times negates any potential savings.

Just my $02 worth.  Moving back to the SLOW ring and watching for this problem to be resolved...

Sorry this didn't help.

Restore 16199 and the error code on 16232 is 0x80070643... Which Ms. Dona says is a known issue they are investigating. At least 16226 and 16232 are failing with the same error code!

Sorry about the previous comment I see now that this error code is still in known issues for build 16232.

Although my VM has just successfully updated without problems. Hope they get it sorted for you soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

This has to be a Windows vs Hardware related problem. At least that's my current thinking.

I've been through exactly the same pain on an Intel / Nvidia set up and never got 16215 or 16226 to install!

I only hope that the telemetry reports that Microsoft have received from the failed updates, must now be in the several thousands (like you I've contributed 50+ so far), will help in resolving the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Why Microsoft release these buged builds? Keep it in Canary version

Because WE are the Insiders.

Some people are having issues, others are not.

Mine upgraded ok except for being very slow.

If they kept everything in Canary we would get nothing to test.

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.

Sorry this didn't help.

You have to be patient.  All 3 computers I loaded it on (which includes my Surface Pro 3) have hung between 95% and 97%.  I just waited it out and they all finally finished the install and it is a lengthy wait.

Sorry this didn't help.

Until they get this UUP problem solved in-house, MS should consider releasing future updates solely on ISO.  Then, at least, true testing of the feature updates and OS fixes could be done without the burden of contending with update failures.

Sorry this didn't help.