Can't install Windows 10 - PC Uses a compressed operating system

Just trying to install the latests windows 10 TP as of 1/23/15 and when trying to install on my tablet, Best Buy branded ("Unbranded") I get the following error when doing the setup checks:

Windows can't be installed because this PC uses a compressed operating system.

I have a 29GB eMMC drive installed on this device and have installed the 9879 release with no problem, other then a few driver problems once I got it installed.

Current Setup:

Windows 8.1 w/ Bing

29GB eMMC drive

2GB RAM

Thanks for any help and tips

Answer
Answer

"Some PC(s)... aren’t supported by Technical Preview, including ...some 32 GB and all 16 GB devices running a compressed operating system" - System Requirements

I'm having the same issue on my HP Stream 11. It has a 32GB hard drive, but its using a compressed operating system (AKA a WIMboot configuration), and the actual storage partition itself is only 16GB (which is mostly taken up by additional operating system files not present within the system image file).

I'm going to attempt to remedy this by creating a recovery drive (thus freeing around 8GB), and if all else fails, attempt to capture the currently running operating system using DISM, with the operating system image mounted, followed by repartitioning my hard disk and applying the custom image (which will contain the operating system files from the original image, along with my current files, settings, and programs). This, in theory (as I have not attempted this before), should change my configuration from a WIMBoot system to a standard boot configuration, allowing the TP to install.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Try upgrading using the .ISO file, please note, you need to have a minimum of 20 GBs of free space:

Download: Windows 10 9926 English: x86 | x64 | More versions

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2023 Views 35,940 Applies to: