Windows Update Error 0x80240034

I'm unable to perform the Windows 10 Insider Preview 16215.1000 (rs_prerelease) update. The downloading process is stuck at 1% and after sometime it fails giving an error code 0x80240034. There's no problem with my Internet connectivity & speed. I'm currently running 64 bit OS with build 16199.1000. I have performed an Update troubleshoot but it is literally taking several minutes! I have waited for almost 40 minutes & it was  still checking for the pending updates! 

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2019 Views 227,728 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Nandu,

We appreciate your earnest effort to reach with Microsoft Community. We understand that you were unable to successfully install the Windows 10 Insider Preview 16215.1000 (rs_prerelease) update. Since running the Update Troubleshooter seems to stall the process of installing the update, what we recommend is that you run the System File Checker (SFC) tool. Windows may not behave as expected when a system file or some system files are missing or corrupted. SFC will help you scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files. You may check the link below for instructions on running the SFC.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

If the above troubleshooting step failed to resolve the issue, kindly run the DISM or System Update Readiness tool. DISM will help you to fix some Windows corruption errors which prevent you from installing the update.

Your response to the solution will be highly appreciated.

45 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

SFC and DISM are not going to fix this. It's a problem with the new build, probably a driver or hardware conflict, since about 50% of people are having issues installing it. A similar thing happened in build 16199 but it didn't affect as many people

278 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nandu,

We suggest that you disable your antivirus and firewall software temporarily and see if you are able to download the Windows Updates.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Please update us on the results.

Regards.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Joeo is right, Actually whatever the problem is the first reply given from Microsoft employees is to do SFC & DISM.

99% of the time SFC will not find any integrity violations & DISM will require a source file which is saved as ISO image in a drive other than C! 

Seriously guys!? Is it mandatory to suggest SFC & DISM whatever the problem is? 

100 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have disabled the Windows firewall , real time protection & internet protection in Avira. But still updates are failing to install! 

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this same problem and nothing has changed on my machine since last update.

I am sure it is the update processes. I have heard on other threads that some people have had success downloading the update file and not using Windows update feature.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes Bruce the problem is from their side, maybe some server issues. Hope they will resolve it ASAP. 

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Now there's a new error! The installation process is stuck at 99%. After a while the system restarts showing that "Restoring your previous Version of Windows" . After that there's this error 0x80070643.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I was getting errors ending in *43, *34, and *57 randomly, sometimes a boot drive error.

I finally got 16215 installed by using an ISO and opting to NOT keep my Windows settings. So it seems the problem is something to do with account settings, or transferring your settings, apps over to the new install... or something along those lines. 

I'm basically starting from scratch again (my choice since I do have a backup), so I wouldn't advise it if you have a lot of reinstalling to do.. eg games, lots of programs etc..

That said though, I'm finally going to give Edge a real shot, since the pin to taskbar option is finally here. Should be fun to see how long I last before I install Chrome.. :-)

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been getting the same two errors all along. Ending in 34 and 43 same as above.

If you are using IE or Edge you can go to the webpage I linked to and do a find and then just copy and paste the error and it will find and explanation of the error.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15260.windows-update-agent-error-codes.aspx

Here is what the one ending in 57 means.

0x80070057 -2147024809 ERROR_INVALID_PARAMENTER - E_INVALIDARG One or more arguments are not valid error - Invalid proxy server name was specified in the user’s IE settings and hence WinhttpSetProxySettings call fails with E_INVALIDARG error. BITS puts the job in TRANSIENT_ERROR with the same error code. For ex, if the proxy server is set to http://foo/bar/proxy.pac, this error will be seen. This error is also seen when credentials are supplied such that scheme is not NTLM/Negotiate, but username/password is NULL, since that is not valid (WinhttpSetCredentials fails with E_INVALIDARG. BITS 1.5 puts the job into ERROR state with BG_E_INVALID_RESPONSE in the above 2 cases, because of error code mapping E_INVALIDARG is always mapped to (BG_E_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE)

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.