Windows 10 - Oracle VirtualBox Guest Additions Corrupt Windows 10 when Installed

Installed Windows 10 on a new VM using VirtualBox (latest version). Using Win 8.1 64-bit image, 4 CPU, 4GB.  Everything OK but very slow, usual behavior until Guest Additions are installed.

Tried to install Guest Additions several different ways, including copying down from ISO and running in Win 8 Compatibility mode, but no matter how I install them, it always corrupts the Windows 10 image so badly it becomes unusable and has to be re-built from scratch.  Even the blue screen PC Repair options can't figure out what to do.

Have not been able to find a fix in the forum or online that fixes the problem.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am using version 4.3.12.0 of VirtualBox and, although it will not allow the Guest Additions to be installed, I have noticed no significant slowness.
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I think I may be having the same problem. I'm running the latest version of Virtualbox (4.3.18) under Windows 7, 64-bit, and I've installed the Windows 10 preview at least a dozen times, and everything seems to go well for a while, and then it just disappears: the VM boots to a blank screen, and the only way to restore it has been to wipe the virtual hard disk and start over with the installation. And now that I think about it, the disappearing system seems to have happened each time, some time after installing the Guest Additions (which always installed without obvious problems). It's missing some key features without the Guest Additions (mouse integration and shared folders), but I'm going to try it for a while without them, to see if that solves the problem. Anyone else know anything about this?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you installing it as a Windows 8.1 VM?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I set up my VM to be based on Windows 8.1, 64-bit, as recommended by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes in his "ZDNet Tech Today" column on how to set up Windows 10 in Virtualbox. My latest installation is still running, BTW, although without installing the Guest Additions I can't do much with it (no access to the rest of the files on my computer without shared folders, for example), so I hope this gets resolved soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I reduced the number of CPUs in the VM from 4 down to 2 and that helped out performance a bit. Still think that if they was a working Guest Additions that it would run better.

I have been trying out the browser based versions of Excel and Word on files I have on OneDrive and that is going ok; easy way to share my files using cloud storage. Love using browser based OneNote.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The latest version of VirtualBox, 4.3.20 seems to support installing the current Guest Additions in a Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9860 VM.  I had no issues installing it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it still doesn't seem to work for me. I updated to Virtual box 4.3.20 (and associated extensions), and I've installed Windows 10 into it 3 times now, with the same results: everything seems to go well until I install the Guest Additions, and then it goes into its disappearing act. After that, every time I start Windows 10, it shows the blue trapezoid windows and the spinning dots for a few seconds, and then it goes black, shows nothing, and won't respond. Whatever's going on, I don't think they've worked it out yet.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the heads up! I installed the guest additions on 2 VMs on 2 separate PCs, both are running faster now. Only problem, on one of the VMs the Microsoft metro games will not run; they start up go through a few setup screens and then go away. I uninstalled and reinstalled and same thing happens (Solitare, Sudoko, Jigsaw and Minesweeper). I was using these to test GUI performance.

Any suggestions welcome...

Thanks again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have installed windows 10 pro tech pre build 9926 64-bit on Virtual box 4.3.20 (iMac late 2012)

Every time I install the guest additions it gets to a point where my screen flashes and goes black. After that every time I start windows 10, the start up window shows and once its supposed to display the log-in screen it doesn't, instead it goes black. I have then to fix my installation by resetting my "windows 10" installation.

I have not figure it out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm happy to report an update to my earlier posts. It appears that with the newest release of Virtualbox (4.3.22), this problem seems to be fixed. I was able to install the Guest Additions for V. 4.3.22 into the current version of Windows 10 (Build 9926), and it didn't disappear.  I could add mouse integration and shared folders, and access other partitions on my computer. Good thing, too, since my efforts at installing Windows 10 as a dual-boot setup in an active partition proved disastrous. The current build, if let out on its own, seems to be incredibly unstable (it never made it past 3-4 actions without locking up so completely that the only way to recover was to turn off the power and reboot). It also, as they say, does not work and play well with others: it refused to let the Windows 7 part of my dual-boot setup operate, and it finally ended up (apparently) trashing my MBR so that the computer wouldn't reboot at all. It took a day of hard work to repair that, and so I'm not letting Windows 10 out of the (Virtual)box again until it can be made a little less dangerous. So it's good that it seems to be possible now to run it there, at least.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2023 Views 14,848 Applies to: