Windows 10 Insider Preview Clean Install?

So I've been searching around the Insider forums and interwebs but can't seem to find anybody with my exact question. My laptop has the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10130. I installed the Insider Preview from 8.1 about 6-7 months ago. I want to perform a clean install of Windows 10 now that it has a full release. I read a blog post from Gabe Aul that explained even with the release of Windows 10 publicly Insiders can choose whether or not they want to stay one and keep receiving Preview Builds. It's also my understanding that Build 10240 is the build. So, my question is as follows: how should I go about performing a clean install of Windows 10, while keeping my Insider status, on my laptop? Is there a product key I get after installing the latest build or is it all just online activation based on hardware ID? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

So I've been searching around the Insider forums and interwebs but can't seem to find anybody with my exact question. My laptop has the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10130. I installed the Insider Preview from 8.1 about 6-7 months ago. I want to perform a clean install of Windows 10 now that it has a full release. I read a blog post from Gabe Aul that explained even with the release of Windows 10 publicly Insiders can choose whether or not they want to stay one and keep receiving Preview Builds. It's also my understanding that Build 10240 is the build. So, my question is as follows: how should I go about performing a clean install of Windows 10, while keeping my Insider status, on my laptop? Is there a product key I get after installing the latest build or is it all just online activation based on hardware ID? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

As you didn't keep the system on to receive all of the updates  and builds as one of the requirements to be an insider, I would recommend  just reinstall 8.1 and get the release that was started today.  You can do a search for windows 10 ISO and do the install.

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

As you didn't keep the system on to receive all of the updates  and builds as one of the requirements to be an insider, I would recommend  just reinstall 8.1 and get the release that was started today.  You can do a search for windows 10 ISO and do the install.

Windows Updates weren't working for me for a long time time and I didn't really notice until about a week ago. I finally fixed the problem (A LOT of work) and Windows Update is installing build 10240 as I write this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Make sure you do all of the updates.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, I'll bite!  =) hehe

Let me see if I can be of some help; this will be a long reply for I am a wordy kind of fella for the sake of detail.

(1) You have Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10130. You installed the preview from Windows 8.1. Are you saying you upgraded your "live" Windows 8.1 to build 10130 or did you install 10130 to a new partition or virtual machine?

I was on my main Windows 8.1 partition when I decided to join the Insider Preview and I too started with build 10130. I did not want to mess with my "live" Windows 8.1 partition so I created a new partition drive and installed 10130 there and now I dual-boot with the choices of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

(2) You want to perform a clean install of Windows 10 now that it is officially released today. So did I. Did you want to do a clean install that will update your Windows Insider Preview build 10130 to today's Window 10 build 10240 release or did you want to do a clean install on your Windows 8.1 to today's Windows 10 release? I am trying to find out if you wanted to update your Insider Preview build or your actual "live" Windows 8.1 system.

(a) If you want to update your Windows Insider Preview build fbl_impressive 10130 to today's newest release so that you will then have Windows Insider Preview build th1_st1 10240 here is what you are supposed to do:

(I) Ideally, you are supposed to check your Windows Update while logged in to your Microsoft Account while on your fbl_impressive build 10130. Check Windows Update and make sure you have all updates installed and wait for it to offer you build th1 10240.  th1 10240 has been out for a little over two weeks now. It is the exact same build number that was released today July 29th.

(II)You could also download the Windows.iso that was released today. Microsoft has updated their Media Creation Tool to include the new Windows 10.  You can download the tool (small file size) directly from Microsoft and run it. When you run the tool you have two main choices: (1) Upgrade your system to Windows 10 or (2) Create Installation Media (ISO, a USB bootable drive, or DVD bootable disc <using the Media Creation Tool's built in dvd-burner>)

So if for some reason you are not being offered the th1 10240 version through Windows Update you could get it via the Media Creation Tool instead.

IMPORTANT: If you choose this route you MUST select the "Update your system" option!!! You absolutely MUST **upgrade** first - then *after* the upgrade you can start all over again with the Media Creation Tool and then that time you can choose the "Create Installation Media" option and after creating the USB or DVD media you can then finally do your clean install.

I repeat you MUST UPGRADE FIRST; do the upgrade so that you preserve your Product Key, then after the upgrade you can start all over again and go the clean install route.

So in summary - If you want to upgrade your Windows Insider Preview build 10130 to 10240 then download the Media Creation Tool and run it choosing the "Upgrade my system" option and when it runs you point it to the partition that has your Windows Insider Preview installed. This will upgrade your Windows Insider build 10130 to 10240 preserving the product key you used for build 10130.

Now that your Windows Insider Preview flb_impressive build 10130 is upgraded to build th1 10240 you can now run the Media Creation Tool a second time and that is when you choose the "Create Installation Media" option. You then choose if you want to create a bootable USB or a DVD.  If you choose the DVD option it will download the Windows.iso which includes all varieties of Windows 10. You can then use the .iso as is or you can burn it to a dvd using the "Burn dvd" option inside the Media Creation Tool itself.  I personally chose to burn the dvd and use that.

(b) If you want to update your Windows 8.1 to today's newest Windows 10 release here is what you are supposed to do:

(I) Ideally, you are supposed to check your Windows Update while logged in to your Microsoft Account while logged on to your Windows 8.1 system. Technically Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 consumers (the general public at large) are not supposed to be updating yet; the Windows Insiders are the first ones who are supposed to be getting the Windows 10 upgrade first, the next wave or so is when the Window 7 and 8 people would get theirs. So it can be several days or a week or more before the general Windows 7 and Windows 8 people are allowed to update via Windows Update.

(II) You could in theory (I may be wrong) again use the Media Creation Tool and choose the "Upgrade my system" option. Again you MUST UPGRADE FIRST to preserve your Windows 8.1 Product Key and then after the upgrade run the Media Creation Tool a second time creating the USB or DVD media and on that second run after you create the media you can use it to do a clean install of your "UPGRADED" system.

IF I WERE YOU -- I would NOT force any of this to happen. Let Windows 10 come to you the way it was intended via Windows Update!

If you wanted to update your Windows Insider Preview from 10130 to 10240 then check Windows Update and make sure you have everything installed and wait for 10240 to come down the pipe to you.  It probably won't take too long because 10240 has been out for a couple of weeks now.

If you wanted to update your Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 then check Windows Update and make sure you have everything installed and wait for Windows 10 to come down the pipe to you.  This will probably take a while from several days to a week or more because people running Windows Insider Previews will be offered the Windows 10 upgrade first before the people who have Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 with Windows 10 reservations.

So Insiders in the first wave, then Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 people with reservations in the next wave; then after all them everyone else on the planet with compatible systems would follow.

SIDENOTE:

I am not an expert, I may be wrong but I did have some first-hand experience with this. I have a Windows 8.1 system and I joined the Windows Insider program installing Windows 10 fbl_impressive build 10130 on a separate and new partition. I then had the ability to dual boot between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (preview).

I started with Windows Preview flb_impressive 10130 using the 10130 ISO and the product key Microsoft gave us for that, that ended in the numbers 3V66T. That product key activated my Windows Insider build 10130. I then eventually updated to 10159, then 10162, then 10166, then 10240 and all of these updates preserved that 10130 product key I used.

Today I wanted to do a clean install as Gabe Aul said we could. I did not want to update my Windows 8.1 system yet because I do not think Windows 10 is ready for a prime-time public release yet (just my opinion) but I did want to do a clean install to my previous th1 10240 Insider Preview.

So I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created the dvd and used that to do a clean install.  I did go from Insider th1 10240 build to th1_st1 10240 build but I had to opt back into the Insider Program because doing a clean install on the Windows Insider Preview actually puts Windows 10 (real) on top of the Preview and I had to re-join the Insider program via the "Get insider builds" button in the Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>Advanced Options window.

So I went from Insider th1 10240 to Windows 10 (official public release) back into the Insider program which then updated me to th1_st1 10240.

But the problem I had is I was previously a Windows Insider with activated previews to now being an Insider with the newest version but my Windows is no longer activated. I have the "Activate Windows" watermark on my desktop and I am unable to personalize my computer now. The problem was that the upgrade and clean install did not preserve the former 3V66T product key because Microsoft deactivated those keys a couple of weeks ago.

I and from what I have read, quite a few others, all have this issue -- we all have Windows 10 that we cannot activate or personalize.

Again, if I were you I would wait until Windows 10 came to you naturally and to be honest it's always best to wait it out a while when a new operating system upgrade is available. Generally I think the more cautious people always waited for the first Service Pack before taking the plunge. Since Microsoft no longer considers Windows to be RTM releases any more since they are now SAS (software as a service) I would still hold out for a couple of months before upgrading to Windows 10 so more of the bugs and kinks can get worked out.

Sorry for the long post, I don't actually expect anyone to read this.

Regards,

Mark

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Mark,

I have exact same problem! Well, with the difference that now I got 10525, but it's not activated. I agree with you, W10 is not ready for prime time. I laso need to keep Windows 7 until I find a replacement for Windows Media Center. I feel betrayed and fooled as Insider, because I've spent many hours in front of the computers updating.

Sorry this didn't help.

Replacement for Media Center.  Have you tried VLC it is free.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Sorry this didn't help.

Replacement for Media Center.  Have you tried VLC it is free.

Yes, I have tried VLC, Kodi and other ones, none of them can deal with DRM like WMC does.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 29, 2018 Views 1,222 Applies to: