Updating Old Windows 10 Preview Builds

Hello Windows Insiders!

As part of our efforts to simplify the number of update paths we actively host within the Windows Insider Flight space, we will no longer allow older Windows 10 builds to directly update to newer preview builds.  By removing these other update paths, this helps us keep a simple and clean flighting architecture with less chance of errors during the update process.

Additionally, if you’re still on an older builds (14393 or older), then something is likely preventing your machine from taking a proper update and you’ll need to follow the update steps below!

For full details on affected build ranges, see the following:

Who:    Windows Insiders in any ring

What:   Direct updates via flighting will not be offered to devices on older Windows 10 builds (<=14393)

When:  Beginning - February 9th, 2018

Why:     Simplification of flight offerings and build storage overhead

If you have a PC (physical or virtual) that is on an older build as noted above, you will see one of two messages depending on which build is installed to your device:

Builds 10586 or below:

Users will see a message that says they are not registered for the program.  Your Microsoft Account (MSA) is still registered, but you will need to follow the update instructions further below in this thread.

Builds greater than 10586 up to 14393:

Users will see a message saying that you will need to upgrade to a newer version of windows

Updating to a current build:

The easiest way to update to a current build is via the Media Creation Tool via the Microsoft Software Download page.  Full directions, including direct install as well as creating a USB-installable ISO can be found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Please read and review all details on the page to ensure you have a smooth update process to a newer build.  Once you’ve updated your PC to a newer build (> 14393), you may return to Settings, select the desired Windows Insider ring and flight settings, and begin receiving newer preview builds once again.

If you have any questions along the way, please share below and we’ll help you get going once again.

Thank you as always for being a Windows Insider!
- Jason

Discussion Info

Last updated September 19, 2018 Views 567,481 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

@Jason,

My understanding is that Insider previews expire in about six months max, so the really old build numbers you are referring to should not include those since logically nobody can be trying to update from them if they can't even run them.  Is it the case that there are some of those really old previews running in spite of their expirations?  Or you mean that It is no longer possible to upgrade from the Fall Update, Anniversary Update, and so on to an Insider Preview build?  That would make sense to me.

Excellent write up.  I trust this is being posted in the Announcements in the Feedback Hub.

Colin Barnhorst

@Jason

Thank you very much for this Jason, but are you not still being on the lenient side by using anything less than 14393. One would think that most users running Insider would already be running 16299.xxx.

I would consider anything less than 15063 would make even more sense to narrow down the update paths. Since we do not have the Telemetry data on actual updates for Insider, I would suggest upping the ante to 16299 and go from there on Insider with even less paths to complicate matters.

Johnny

(Insider since 10/01/2014)

Excellent write up.  I trust this is being posted in the Announcements in the Feedback Hub.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Will you be offering a Windows Insider Preview Download higher than 17025.
Wired & Retired Old Mig15 pilot.
Sheryl Sandberg told the SIC that from October to last March, Facebook deleted 1.3 billion fake accounts.

The ISO image for WIP Build 17074.1002 should've been released at the same time it was released to the slow ring. That used to be standard procedure in the past, but hasn't happened for a long time.

The ISO image for WIP Build 17074.1002 should've been released at the same time it was released to the slow ring. That used to be standard procedure in the past, but hasn't happened for a long time.

Somehow I rather doubt it. Was there not some form of boot error that has caused issues with this and not apparently corrected till build 17093.

I have not done any recent clean installs since using 17025 as I do make an ISO from every release using UUPtoISO and have used them for upgrading installs. Just never got any major issues to require a clean install in this last round of Insider.

Think MS needs to get this online upgrade issue fixed for all the system variations out there. Most likely I am guessing the next release that goes to Slow will get a downloadable ISO.

Jason said that an ISO for 17074 was not posted because of an "install bug."  Normally, the ISO is posted within a week after the flight to Slow Ring.  It has never been posted on the same day.
Colin Barnhorst

I have not done any recent clean installs since using 17025 as I do make an ISO from every release using UUPtoISO and have used them for upgrading installs. Just never got any major issues to require a clean install in this last round of Insider.

Hi Johnny! how are you?

I made the ISO the same way you do and I was surprised that after booting from the USB drive, the installation menu was missing. Instead, I was presented with a regional choice and then the regular repair menu came up. I had to use command prompt to run setup.exe manually

Jason said that an ISO for 17074 was not posted because of an "install bug."  Normally, the ISO is posted within a week after the flight to Slow Ring.  It has never been posted on the same day.

Hello Colin, 

The install bug is still there on 17093. Please see the pics I posted in another post:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install-insiderplat_pc/cannot-make-bootable-17-093-usb-drive/70765888-c824-4c8f-ac3a-e9842602a47a

Sometimes it was available within hours. I remember getting exited seeing the announcement and rushing to download it when I was in the slow ring.