Surface Pro 3 GREEN Screen of Death after Upgrade to 16288.1

My Wife's Surface Pro 3 was running fine on 16281.. last night successfully upgrade to 16288.

This morning the Green Screen of Death.. now wont boot just shows on Boot up Continuous O circle...

any ideas?

Thanks Dave

Discussion Info

Last updated July 9, 2018 Views 702 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Power on. As soon as you see the swirling dots begin, hold power button in for 5 seconds or more until it powers off. Do this twice. On third power on, it should go to Repair menu. Try Startup Repair. If that does not work, you can choose Advanced Startup options, such as Safe Mode and see if you can login to Windows. Then try a normal restart and see if anything has improved.
Don

Power on. As soon as you see the swirling dots begin, hold power button in for 5 seconds or more until it powers off. Do this twice. On third power on, it should go to Repair menu. Try Startup Repair. If that does not work, you can choose Advanced Startup options, such as Safe Mode and see if you can login to Windows. Then try a normal restart and see if anything has improved.

It goes to Preparing Automatic Repair...and spinning circle....no menus...

Thanks Dave

If you have Windows 10 install media on a bootable USB stick, you can use that to boot the Surface instead. I believe there may be a power button/volume button sequence to boot from USB. You can create the USB stick, if you do not have one, by following directions on this site (would need to do on another PC). Then choose Repair your computer from the second setup screen.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Don
Me too. I had to do a hard reset using recovery media. Nothing else worked while trying to repair it.

Yes, Sadly nothing would repair or restore..the Only option was to delete partiction on drive and do fresh USB install...I know its beta but, I always thought Microsofts own Tablets would pass the reboot test after a new build...even before they release to Us...oh, well..Surface Pro 3 back to day I bought it....

Thanks, Dave

This occurred with my device.  I wiped it clean with a Win 10 1703 clean install then updated to 16288.1 again and the same problem came back.  The work around I have is that if I boot from a Windows 10 installer USB key, pick recover instead of install, then continue, it will boot correctly.  A restart seems to always work.  A shut down will trigger a failure on the next boot.

The green screen of death suggests that it is a driver problem that is responsible.

It would help get this fixed to report what you have here in the Feedback Hub so that Microsoft is aware and gets some idea what to look for to fix it.
Don
I already have and added a comment with the Watson bucket IDs and other info from eventvwr and reliability center.

This is exactly the same problem that I'm having.