Surface Pro 3 crashes when it is Shut Down and then cannot be restarted on Build 16288

I installed build 16288.  I had put it in stand-by for about an hour and when I tried to wake it up, it crashed with the green screen.  It collected the info and it shut down.  After trying everything to boot it including having it try to do an Automatic Repair. I had make a recovery disk and install windows 10 from it.  I installed build 16288 again and restarted the Surface with no problems.  I set up my software again and rebooted with no problems.  I decided to shut the Surface down completely and when I tried booting it again it will not boot again.  Any ideas?

I have re-installed windows 10 build 10586 onto the computer and cannot upgrade to the Creators build.  It fails every time.  I have done a clean reset and still doesn't upgrade.  I have downloaded the Creators ISO and it fails. The upgrade tool fails to install the update.  I have turned on the insider program and it doesn't see the updates.

And on a side note, if Microsoft happens to read this I am tired of them trying to shove Edge down my throat from constantly popping up recommending Edge to forcing me to use it to do this.  I cannot use Firefox or Maxthon.

Unfortunately my Surface crashed sometime during the night and I am back to reinstalling Windows again and all my programs I use on it.  

Funny thing is that some phones crashed after the build put out on Tuesday (mine didn't crash) and they acknowledged it and had a new build on Friday, our Surface crashes and cannot be restarted and not a word.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2018 Views 378 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This fixed the issue on my Surface pro 3. Many thanks :)

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

A year or so ago I was thinking of buying a Surface Pro but when I saw all the problems owners were having I changed my mind.

A person would think the Microsoft lab would have many Surface Pro's and would make sure that at least Microsoft products would have less trouble than any other computer system.

All of this can't be good for Sales.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

i have the Problem with Build 16362 (RS_PRERELEASE) too.

Fast startup disabling has the Problem not fixed.

I have Build 16353 recovered.

Best regards from Germany 

Matthias

Sorry this didn't help.

Very frustrating. I installed this 16288 yesterday on my surface pro 3 too and seemed to have worked alright last evening and night. It simply won't boot this morning. This is my first attempt at using Insider's preview and leaves a bad taste really.

Sorry this didn't help.

I managed to get my Surface3Pro to the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen twice, but it just hung there for an hour, so that didn't work either.

As others have noted, I don't have this problem with my Desktop PC - it's specific to my Surface3Pro.

I've also reported this through Feedback.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes the Insider pre testers  missed this...should of been No Go on release to us..

Please report this using Feedback..

Thanks Dave

Sorry this didn't help.

First thing I did was post this on Feedback.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried all of that and it doesn't work. If you even allow the Surface to sleep it will crash and shut down.  I have this build running on 3 other computer and have not had a problem with them.   I have set the Surface up again and will not run the insider program until they fix it.  But I hope that doesn't take 8 months like it did for the issue with the SDMicro card causing the updates from installing.  I could not believe that they put out the Creators Update with that problem.  They never acknowledged the problem until July.  So far no response to this problem. 

Me too. Had to delete all from hard drive and re install Windows..really bad part is you can't do any insider builds now cause the released this nightmare to slow ring and fast ring!!

Please use the Feedback link so they get this straightened out for us Surface pro 3 owners!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried all of that and it doesn't work. If you even allow the Surface to sleep it will crash and shut down.  I have this build running on 3 other computer and have not had a problem with them.   I have set the Surface up again and will not run the insider program until they fix it.  But I hope that doesn't take 8 months like it did for the issue with the SDMicro card causing the updates from installing.  I could not believe that they put out the Creators Update with that problem.  They never acknowledged the problem until July.  So far no response to this problem. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Since Restart works, it may have to do with Fast Startup, which is used with Shutdown, but not with a Restart. Another thing to try is to have a bootable USB stick with Windows 10 install on it. Boot to the USB stick and Windows setup will start. On the second screen select the link to Repair your computer. A blue menu should appear. Try selecting "Continue Exit and continue to Windows 10".

If you don't have bootable Windows 10 install on DVD or USB, try powering on and as soon as you see swirling dots hold power button in, for 5 seconds or more, until it shuts down. Do this twice. On the third power on it should show "Preparing Automatic Repair" and "Diagnosing your PC". The next screen should have Advanced options. Try "Continue Exit and continue to Windows 10" and see if that works.

If you can get back into Windows, you might be able to disable Fast Startup, or try using SHIFT-Restart each time (which brings up the blue boot menu) and then "Turn off your PC". I think this might bypass Fast Startup, since it does a Restart to get to the boot menu.

Don

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.