Question

Q: new updates

How can you uninstall updates KB 4046355? There is no information about them and they cause more problems to the system. Most of all they don't show up under installed updates. Build 16299rs3_release170922-1354.

All was fine until I got critical updates KB 4046355. No Store , mail or WMP.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Please always give the make and model of your device and the build you are using when asking questions like this.  Help us help you.  Also, be specific about the "more problems" you are referring to.

Since the KB does not appear in installed updates in either Windows Update or Control Panel/View installed updates there is no way to uninstall.  However using a restore point dated prior to the update should remove it.  If no restore point is available then there is no way to remove it.  Even if you do, it will return.  This is a mandatory update.  

Colin Barnhorst

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

At least I know it's not just _this_ PC...

Windows Media Player is gone. Update history shows KB4046355 was installed yesterday 2017-10-03.

I'm just hoping it's a mistake.

The help link from Settings/Update history/Quality Updates goes to a dead page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046355

Try searching for what you need

This page doesn’t exist.

CV: uAas/sa68EGQRpnz.4

Sorry this didn't help.

I installed the latest build 16299.15 yesterday. It has no updates (yet) and is the presumed RTM version.

Windows Media Player is there.

Before burning too many brain cells on your problem, I'd upgrade to 16299.15 first, and then report any problems that still exist on that build (on Feedback first, then here).

Sorry this didn't help.

I installed the latest build 16299.15 yesterday. It has no updates (yet) and is the presumed RTM version.

Windows Media Player is there.

Before burning too many brain cells on your problem, I'd upgrade to 16299.15 first, and then report any problems that still exist on that build (on Feedback first, then here).

Good point. I only held off on that particular machine while testing on a different one at 16299.15.

Sorry this didn't help.

An Internet search suggests that KB4046355 updates Windows 10 to build 16299.15. (EDIT: No. That was just a LanguageFeatureOnDemand and does not update the Windows build number at all).

If it could be uninstalled, it would be displayed with the command below:

Get-WindowsPackage -Online

If it could be removed, you might be able to uninstall it with (but I do not think this is possible):

Remove-WindowsPackage -PackagePath [fill in the name shown by the command above that includes KB4046355]

You do not want to revert back to 16299.0, as this build will expire, while build 16299.15 will not expire.

Don

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Thanks everyone for answering my question. Still can't get WMP back but I did get Store by troubleshooting Store and applying a fix. With Store back I reset my Mail and it returned to normal. Still working on other problems. Anyway Thanks everyone , all advice helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

As far as music is concern go to Groove Music , select My Music then Songs. You should get a list of all your songs. I found this after a little reading. I never setup Groove Music or used it before. I think it's part of Win 10. My videos are being seen thru Photo app now.

Hope this helps you a little to get back on track.

Sorry this didn't help.

Groove is moving to Spotify by the end of the year so build any new playlists in Spotify.  Groove is going away.

https://www.windowscentral.com/postmortem-groove-music

Colin Barnhorst

Sorry this didn't help.

For Windows Media Player, in Control Panel find Turn Windows features on and off, under Programs and Features. If it is not checked, check it to install it.

If it is already checked, it should be under Start menu - Windows Accessories - Windows Media Player.

Don

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Don, yes this should be the setting but was already set. I also tried disabling, rebooting, and reenabling. Did not work. PC did the .15 update on its own and still no wmplayer folder. Personally I use it for MIDI and wmv, wma files, plus mp4 training videos at 2x speed. Have lots of tv and camcorder wmv files, movie maker which I should test.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,151 Last updated: May 20, 2018 Applies to: