Builds 16288,16291,16294 black screen with cursor install.

The last three builds, when I've tried to update, have booted to a black screen with cursor, after the first update reboot. I've just tried making a UPP ISO and clean installing the 16294 build from a flash drive, and the installer immediately boots to the same black screen with cursor. In either scenario I quickly see a window pop up and disappear before no further progress is made. Then I have to hard reboot. In the upgrade version, it gives me a Safe_OS installation phase failure error. 

Any suggestions of more logs to provide or solutions would be appreciated.

B350M Motherboard, AMD Ryzen CPU, Nvidia GTX 970, Windows 10 Pro 16281, OS SSD C: Drive with REFS Mirror Storage Space D: Drive.

You state that you have an ISO of 16294, are you clean installing by booting from the flash card or are you running setup.exe.

In order to clean install, you have to boot from the flash card which I am assuming you built using rufus, and do a custom install, deleting all existing partitions and let windows rebuild the system for you.

If you are just running setup.exe, you are not getting around whatever problem your system is having.

You might also try dl the latest Insider Build from from MS and updating from there. The main problem I see is that you have not really clarified the process that you are doing. You have to delete all existing partitions when you boot from your flash card.

Johnny

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You state that you have an ISO of 16294, are you clean installing by booting from the flash card or are you running setup.exe.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am rebooting, pressing F11 to get to boot drive selection, and booting from the flash drive. It shows the loading icons and immediately also goes to a black screen with cursor. No menu appears, no terms and conditions, drive format options, etc.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am rebooting, pressing F11 to get to boot drive selection, and booting from the flash drive. It shows the loading icons and immediately also goes to a black screen with cursor. No menu appears, no terms and conditions, drive format options, etc.

B350M Motherboard, AMD Ryzen CPU, Nvidia GTX 970, Windows 10 Pro 16281, OS SSD C: Drive with REFS Mirror Storage Space D: Drive

Is your system using UEFI or legacy bios. You might want to disable quick or fast boot. Not very familiar with using REFS but I wonder if that has something to do with it. Is D: an internal drive, or if it is external, try unplugging it.

It almost appears that you are not booting from the bootable flash drive and the system is just booting from your hard drive. Dumb question but how did you create the bootable flash drive.

Johnny

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

UEFI. D is internal so I guess I'll try unplugging tonight. Built using Rufus. I should mention that I created a bootable drive, identical method using the official 16278 ISO, and that boots to setup menu fine. So in theory my booting technique, flash drive creation is fine, and the issue is either with the 16288+ setup-loader drivers, or something else strange. 

Sorry this didn't help.

UEFI. D is internal so I guess I'll try unplugging tonight. Built using Rufus. I should mention that I created a bootable drive, identical method using the official 16278 ISO, and that boots to setup menu fine. So in theory my booting technique, flash drive creation is fine, and the issue is either with the 16288+ setup-loader drivers, or something else strange. 

Possible then the 16288 ISO has an issue if it is not booting. Never had that happen other than failing when using UUPtoISO to make ISO. I would go with the official ISO and hopefully that corrects the problem. If it boots up fine with this one, no need to unplug anything then.

Keep us posted on your results. Always learning everyday. Cheers!

Johnny

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2018 Views 90 Applies to: