Build 17017 download fails with an error or shows "an update is being prepared"...

All six of my Fast Ringers are stopping at "An update is being prepared for your device...." and the Retry button.  Restarting the device does not change anything.  Of course, simply hitting "Retry" doesn't help either.  I am monitoring to see what happens.

***Below edits added by Jason[MS]***

Users may see the following errors, as well as the "an update is being prepared..." message.

c1900401

The packages that were made available for download were missing a component file that is required as part of the update process.  Teams are re-creating these packages and will re-deploy these revised packages to the update servers.

What to expect:

In the next 4-6 hours, the updates should become available for those who have been hitting these errors.

Affected SKU/Language combinations:

CLOUD_EN-US
CLOUD_ES-ES
CLOUD_HU-HU
CLOUD_IT-IT
CLOUD_JA-JP
CLOUD_SV-SE
CLOUD_TR-TR
CLOUD_ZH-TW
CLOUDN_CS-CZ
CLOUDN_DE-DE
CLOUDN_EN-US
CLOUDN_ES-ES
CLOUDN_HU-HU
CLOUDN_IT-IT
CLOUDN_KO-KR
CLOUDN_NB-NO
CORE_EN-US
CORE_HU-HU
CORE_IT-IT
CORE_JA-JP
COREN_EN-US
COREN_HU-HU
COREN_IT-IT
CORESINGLELANGUAGE_EN-US
EDUCATION_EN-US
EDUCATION_HU-HU
EDUCATION_IT-IT
EDUCATION_JA-JP
EDUCATION_SV-SE
EDUCATION_TR-TR
EDUCATION_ZH-TW
EDUCATIONN_EN-US
EDUCATIONN_HU-HU
EDUCATIONN_IT-IT
EDUCATIONN_SV-SE
ENTERPRISE_EN-US
ENTERPRISE_HU-HU
ENTERPRISE_IT-IT
ENTERPRISE_ZH-TW
ENTERPRISEN_EN-US
ENTERPRISEN_HU-HU
ENTERPRISEN_IT-IT
PROFESSIONAL_EN-US
PROFESSIONAL_HU-HU
PROFESSIONAL_IT-IT
PROFESSIONAL_JA-JP
PROFESSIONAL_SV-SE
PROFESSIONAL_ZH-TW
PROFESSIONALN_EN-US
PROFESSIONALN_HU-HU
PROFESSIONALN_IT-IT
PROFESSIONALN_SV-SE

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Same here on skip ahead only mine is 'There were problems installing some updates' but same symptoms directly it tries to start initialising. Error 0x80070002

Same here. I did windows update troubleshooter run & deleted Download files in 

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistibution

But retry keeps appearing after about 30 sec of initializing.

JMarco - InsiderDev, Intel i7-3630QM, 16gb Ram,ASUS K55-A laptop - Insider Dev Build 20621.1, 240GB SSD
That is an unrelated error that you need to address separately.  By the way, Skippy is no more.  All the former Active Development and Skip Ahead devices are on the same page now.  All are getting the same build at the same time.
Colin Barnhorst
Looks like a publishing issue on MSFT's end.  We may see Twitter activity soon.
Colin Barnhorst

I mention skippy to differentiate between the versions that we are trying to update.

BTW mine still says 'Skip ahead to next Windows release'.  It may change of course after (if) we update.

Reply In reply to deleted message

It doesn't matter anymore what the WIP page is showing.  17017.1000 is the build going to all Fast Ringers today.  I have three former Active Development and three form Skippys all attempting the same download.  MSFT is merging the branches by the simple
expediency of putting everybody on the same build and going from there.

This isn't technically accurate.  Fast and Skip Ahead are still separate groups, even if we're pushing the same build to both of them.

There is a difference.  Fast has the message in red and Skip ahead has no red on the screen.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb
In the update history, I get error 0x80240034 which (surprise-surprise) is 'Update failed to download'

There is a difference.  Fast has the message in red and Skip ahead has no red on the screen.

Wonder if the errors are related to the ring selection.

My Fast is the 0x80240034 error.

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.
I have no error code on the screen but it is in the History.  It also shows how many tines.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Discussion Info

Last updated December 10, 2019 Views 6,124 Applies to: