16232 esd oddity, damaged or corrupt esd file when trying to make ISO

so - not been able to update with the last three updates

(Yes I know there are lots of threads with lots of suggestions - none work)

However I thought I would create an ISO for a clean install

Using decrypt.cmd - I note the esd file Professional_en-us.esd is only 463.447 Kb - that seems too small and when I run decrypt.cmd it says the file is damaged or corrupt

This is accessing the file after download of the update but, before an update reboot - which fails

Any ideas guys and gals ?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi WH,

That is correct, since the introduction of UUP, this method is no longer viable. There is some method for creating such an ISO, but I personally don't use such methods, so I can't tell you where to find it. Look for "failure to install" threads, it is mentioned here and there (?UUPtoISO?).

You are not the first in having to use this method, but I have been unable to find a common cause. Could you post a bit about your machines installation history? Such as when was the last Clean Install and of what build? Some info about installed non-OOTB/MS software (AV, Backup, SSD software) is also most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Founder of the STI Project

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

current - 16199

no a/v

no backup s/w

mb - Asus G31M-GS R2.0

ssd Crucial boot disk - no ssd software

no 3rd party stuff in startup

Q6600 CPU

4Gb memory

Nvidia graphics card GTS 250

fairly bog standard - nothing special - not been able to update since 16199 - just keep getting errors like

Failed to install on ‎03/‎07/‎2017 - 0x80240034

Failed to install on ‎30/‎06/‎2017 - 0x800704c7

I have tried many suggestions in many other threads

remove NET3.5

Run troubleshooter

done dsm

done sfc

Tried UUPtoISO - that fails too

I had hoped to do an upgrade, rather than a clean install - as every upgrade so far has worked - now they don't.

Doing a clean install is not my preferred route, I have downloaded the most recent Windows Insider ISO - but I can't select upgrade (greyed out) when booting from USB - only a clean install

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, Upgrade would be grayed out, as it would actually be a down grade.

Since the ISO upgrade also did not work, there's no reason to Edit:NOT to try and use WU until we are sure that's there is no other way but use an ISO.

Have you tried:

Running the Settings->Upd & Sec->Troubleshoot->Hardware and Devices troubleshooter?

I know one or two more, but that's my best bet...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

so - not been able to update with the last three updates

(Yes I know there are lots of threads with lots of suggestions - none work)

However I thought I would create an ISO for a clean install

Using decrypt.cmd - I note the esd file Professional_en-us.esd is only 463.447 Kb - that seems too small and when I run decrypt.cmd it says the file is damaged or corrupt

This is accessing the file after download of the update but, before an update reboot - which fails

Any ideas guys and gals ?

Ok, think Tenforums.com and UUPtoISO.  Works like a charm.   You need to zero in on the correct file.

It is well documented but start here.  A simple copy/paste gets it going.

=================

2.1) Open File Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. It contains several subfolders named with a long hexadecimal string.

2.2) In File Explorer, search for ext:esd to find all ESD files. Only one of the subfolders of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download contains ESD files (extension .esd). So called express UUP upgrade has only one ESD file, canonical UUP upgrades can have 10+ ESD files. Regardless of how many ESD files your search finds, they are all stored in same subfolder, the one containing necessary files to make an ISO image

============

sofspra (Mel)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mel,

While I have no evidence (as yet) that using UUPtoISO causes any harm, I feel I must warn fellow Insiders that the method is NOT recommended procedure: In the words of Jason[MS]: "Use at own risk. Some files are not included in these ISO's, which could lead to future issues" Or something to that nature |--)

Regards,

Stephen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

UUPtoISO is what I've used successfully since 16215.  While I've read Jason's warning, I've yet to run into a problem with it.  I just upgraded 4 systems from 16226 to 16323 using an ISO I made this way.  It's definitely a "use at your own risk" deal, but it's worked flawlessly for me, and I haven't seen any reports of problems with it.

MS doesn't want us to use it because they want all the feedback on UUP they can get, but it's been 6 months now since they came out with it, and they've yet to fix it.  If they don't want us to make ISOs, it's well past time for them to fix the perfectly abysmal performance of UUP on the upgrade process.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Hula,

Of course you use UUPtoISO, you rascal |--). And your opinion on UUP |--). is not entirely undeserved. But I think it's not so much a technical reason why MS doesn't publish timely ISO as it is a logistical one. Such ISO's are full of 'certifications' which may not be that easy to obtain. (Read: not up to MS). I may be wrong in this and if I am, then I'll happily help you carry the banners |--)

On UUPtoISO, I'm only saying don't use it unless you have good reason to (p.e. slow internet). I won't touch it because I would never know, upon encountering a new issue, whether it was the ISO or .....

Sadly, I don't think you can look forward to much improvement in the whole upgrade process. Let's not forget, for the public it's only used once or twice a year....And while they are sleeping....As if they are ever truly awake...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Stephen.  It's definitely a personal preference; I understand your reasoning.  I use it only on test partitions with these insider builds that I don't depend on for anything besides testing.  If I run into something questionable, I can easily do a clean install.  I have a lot of software installed on the two systems I have on SSDs, so I use the normal update process with them, but pause and make the ISO for the other 5 HDD partitions where I only have minimal stuff installed.  Of course some folks seem to think that doing a clean install will give them leprosy!  :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hula, I know you are 'the right stuff', but thanks for clarifying it for the others...That is

Can we agree on this advice?:

Sure, use UUPtoISO when needed or even only handy, but be aware of it's limitations, i.e. it must be eliminated as a possible cause of the issue before an issue is 'official'. Whatever you take that to mean |--)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stephen, I agree with that.  I did say it was a "use at your own risk" deal.  FWiW when I mentioned UUP performance, I didn't mean just the time it takes, but also its ability for most insiders to use it.  Even if they don't fix the issue of beating the HDD to death, they've GOT to fix things so that so many people don't get these 0x........ errors.  I hope I live long enough to see the day when they replace those hex codes with text messages, but there I go dreaming again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 12, 2023 Views 457 Applies to: