What's WPSettings.dat generated by?

Which service or component is the WPSettings.dat file (in "System Volume Information" folder) made by?

(This WPSettings.dat file perhaps appears to be starting from build 10547.)

Question Info

Last updated June 15, 2019 Views 43,839 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you.

As per the information, be informed that any file/folder under the System Volume Information would be a system file. Which will be running on Windows background. However, run a virus scan (Microsoft Safety Scanner).

https://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Disclaimer: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What does the file say?  Note pad should read a .dat file.
-----------
If this answers you question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lawrence, Sorry, I cannot read it, it is a binary file making by Microsoft. The contents of this file are as follows:    =╪╪G╜ΓB    

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

D:\System Volume Information>type WPSettings.dat    =╪╪G╜ΓB

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Billion, thank you for your reply, yet this reply almost has no any helps to me.

I'd already known that this WPSettings.dat file is not any virus or malware,
but rather it is surely generated by a Microsoft Windows new service which the build 10547 newly added or a new something like that.

However, I still runed the virus scan by Microsoft Safety Scanner according to your advice.
This is the scanning result: No any viruses were detected.

Indeed, I just wanna know this answer:
What is the WPSettings.dat file generated by?

You know, in the "System Volume Information" folder, as known we know:
some files are generated by Volume Shadow Copy service,
the tracking.log file is generated by the Distributed Link Tracking Client service (TrkWks),
the IndexerVolumeGuid file is generated by the Windows Search service (WSearch),
the MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase file is generated by the Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager service (FltMgr) and the Mount Point Manager service (mountmgr),
but what is the WPSettings.dat file generated by?
I indeed do not know, and I am sure that most experienced users also do not know.

Previously, by ZigZag3143's helps, I already had the solution to solve the problem that can prevent the "System Volume Information" folder auto-generating in the removable drives, but now due to WPSettings.dat file newly added, that solution was already completely ineffective. For more details, please refer to my previous thread: Cannot delete the System Volume Information folder in Windows 10 (Build 9926)

Now, whenever I insert any removable drives (such as portable hard drives, USB flash drives, MicroSD card USB dirves for cameras, and so on) into a computer, there will automatically generate the "System Volume Information" folder and the WPSettings.dat file within it. Namely the "System Volume Information" folder in the removable drives now bothers me again! And due to the confusion that I don't know what the WPSettings.dat file is generated by, so I have no idea to remove it completely from any removable drives (even if though they were deleted, and then after restarting it will be generated automatically), how annoying it is!

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Solved by myself.

The WPSettings.dat file is generated by the Storage Service (StorSvc).

It seems that WPSettings.dat means the data files of Windows Phone's Store Settings saved on the drives, which is generated by the StorSvc (Storage Service) service, and StorSvc service provides enabling services for storage settings and external storage expansion; if you wanna use properly the download and storage features of Windows Store, you'd better not disable StorSvc service.

For controlling the power of "System Volume Information" folders, could execute the following steps:

Type "gpedit.msc" in Cortana search box, then tap (or click)

gpedit
Windows application

Then execute the following settings:

Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> System Restore -> Turn off System Restore -> Enabled

Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Installer -> Turn off creation of System Restore checkpoints -> Enabled

If want to delete the "System Volume Information" folders on USB flash drives or other removable drives, could execute the following setting:
Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search -> Do not allow locations on removable drives to be added to libraries -> Enabled

Now user might use notepad to make two batch files and individually name them as DelSVIFdrs.bat & SchDelSVIFdrs.bat, then save them into the settings backup folder, then in File Explorer navigate to the folder which the batch files saved in, then right-click on the batch file SchDelSVIFdrs.bat, then a shortcut menu will pop up, then click on "Run as administrator" menu item on the shortcut menu, then User Account Control dialog box will pop up, then click on "Yes" button, then it will be running quickly within an opened "Command Prompt (Admin)" window, then its window will close automatically, means that the execution or performance is complete, - the result has been reached.

Below are my the two batch files for directly deleting System Volume Information folders and adding it into Task Scheduler.

This batch file is for directly deleting System Volume Information folders:
DelSVIFdrs.bat (note: this line is just the file name, not file contents, yet the below lines are file contents)
vssadmin delete shadows /All /Quiet
mountvol /N
net stop TrkWks
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TrkWks /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000004
net stop VSS
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000004
net stop WSearch
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WSearch /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000004
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SDRSVC /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000003
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\StorSvc /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000003
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\swprv /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000003
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WMPNetworkSvc /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000003
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\workfolderssvc /f /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000003
for %%d in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist "%%d\System Volume Information" (
takeown /F "%%d\System Volume Information" /R /A /D Y
icacls "%%d\System Volume Information" /grant Administrators:F /T /C
if exist "%%d\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase" del /a /f /q "%%d\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase"
if exist "%%d\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid" del /a /f /q "%%d\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid"
if exist "%%d\System Volume Information\WPSettings.dat" del /a /f /q "%%d\System Volume Information\WPSettings.dat"
if exist "%%d\System Volume Information\tracking.log" del /a /f /q "%%d\System Volume Information\tracking.log"
rd /s /q "%%d\System Volume Information"
)

This batch file is for creating a new task and adding it into Task Scheduler:
SchDelSVIFdrs.bat
schtasks /create /tn "\DelSVIFdrs" /tr "D:\Software\Settings\SVIFdrs\DelSVIFdrs.bat" /ru "NT Authority\System" /sc OnLogon /delay 0005:00 /f

Note:
My settings backup folder about deleting SVI folders is located in D:\Software\Settings\SVIFdrs, so, this placeholder could be replaced with the location of other user's customized settings' backup folder.

First right-click or press-and-hold on SchDelSVIFdrs.bat then run it as administrator,
then sign out or reboot, then sign in,
after waiting more than five minutes, that will be found it automatically works,
namely all System Volume Information folders in all drives already have been deleted at all.

---

Also might use notepad to make a XML file and name it as DelSVIFdrs.xml, then save it into the settings backup folder.

The DelSVIFdrs.xml file contents are as below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.4" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2016-08-08T18:18:18</Date>
    <Author>Builtin\Administrators</Author>
    <Description>Delete System Volume Information folders.</Description>
    <URI>\DelSVIFdrs</URI>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers>
    <BootTrigger>
      <StartBoundary>2016-08-08T18:28:00</StartBoundary>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <Delay>PT3M</Delay>
    </BootTrigger>
    <LogonTrigger>
      <Repetition>
        <Interval>PT15M</Interval>
        <Duration>PT1H</Duration>
        <StopAtDurationEnd>false</StopAtDurationEnd>
      </Repetition>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <Delay>PT15M</Delay>
    </LogonTrigger>
  </Triggers>
  <Principals>
    <Principal id="Author">
      <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>
      <UserId>NT Authority\System</UserId>
    </Principal>
  </Principals>
  <Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>false</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
      <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
      <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>false</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>
    <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>true</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>P3D</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>7</Priority>
  </Settings>
  <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>D:\Software\Settings\SVIFdrs\DelSVIFdrs.bat</Command>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>
</Task>

Note:
      <Command>D:\Software\Settings\SVIFdrs\DelSVIFdrs.bat</Command>
My settings backup folder about deleting SVI folders is located in D:\Software\Settings\SVIFdrs, so, this placeholder at the XML file's fourth line from the bottom could be replaced with the location of other user's customized settings' backup folder.

Then again use notepad to make a batch file and name it as SchDelSVIFdrsXML.bat, then save it into the settings backup folder, its contents are as below:

schtasks /create /tn "\DelSVIFdrs" /xml "D:\Software\Settings\SVIFdrs\DelSVIFdrs.xml" /f

Note:
My settings backup folder about deleting SVI folders is located in D:\Software\Settings\SVIFdrs, so, this placeholder could be replaced with the location of other user's customized settings' backup folder.

Then might create the task and add it into Task Scheduler from the XML file, just right-click or press-and-hold on the SchDelSVIFdrsXML.bat file and then run it as administrator, the effect or result is as same as above running the SchDelSVIFdrs.bat file.

42 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

dir "C:\System Volume Information" /a /s

Volume in drive C is Batgirl
 Volume Serial Number is 622D-25EB

Directory of C:\System Volume Information

10/17/2015  02:09    <DIR>          .
10/17/2015  02:09    <DIR>          ..
10/17/2015  00:39                76 IndexerVolumeGuid
10/17/2015  00:38                 0 MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase
10/15/2015  14:41    <DIR>          SPP
10/15/2015  14:42    <DIR>          SystemRestore
10/17/2015  00:47            20,480 tracking.log
10/17/2015  00:38    <DIR>          WindowsImageBackup
10/17/2015  00:38                12 WPSettings.dat
10/15/2015  14:41            65,536 {3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
10/16/2015  02:47       536,870,912 {9c2a206d-72a2-11e5-8537-db0c091cf37c}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
               6 File(s)    536,957,016 bytes

Directory of C:\System Volume Information\SPP

10/15/2015  14:41    <DIR>          .
10/15/2015  14:41    <DIR>          ..
10/15/2015  14:41    <DIR>          OnlineMetadataCache
               0 File(s)              0 bytes

Directory of C:\System Volume Information\SPP\OnlineMetadataCache

10/15/2015  14:41    <DIR>          .
10/15/2015  14:41    <DIR>          ..
10/15/2015  14:41             3,008 {461efcf5-b6e6-4e2a-8bd7-26c41f2a7ac6}_OnDiskSnapshotProp
               1 File(s)          3,008 bytes

Directory of C:\System Volume Information\SystemRestore

10/15/2015  14:42    <DIR>          .
10/15/2015  14:42    <DIR>          ..
10/15/2015  14:42    <DIR>          FRStaging

Directory of C:\System Volume Information\SystemRestore\FRStaging

10/15/2015  14:42    <DIR>          .
10/15/2015  14:42    <DIR>          ..

Directory of C:\System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup

10/17/2015  00:38    <DIR>          .
10/17/2015  00:38    <DIR>          ..
10/17/2015  00:38    <DIR>          SPPMetadataCache

Directory of C:\System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup\SPPMetadataCache

10/17/2015  00:38    <DIR>          .
10/17/2015  00:38    <DIR>          ..

Total Files Listed:
               7 File(s)    536,960,024 bytes
              20 Dir(s)  148,434,886,656 bytes free

SPP                             <folder>    <--- generated by Volume Shadow Copy service (VSS) and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service (swprv)
SystemRestore                   <folder>    <--- generated by System Restore service and Windows Backup service (SDRSVC)
WindowsImageBackup              <folder>    <--- generated by Volume Shadow Copy service
IndexerVolumeGuid               <file>      <--- generated by Windows Search service (WSearch)
MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase <file>      <--- generated by Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager service (FltMgr) and Mount Point Manager service (mountmgr)
tracking.log                    <file>      <--- generated by Distributed Link Tracking Client service (TrkWks)
WPSettings.dat                  <file>      <--- generated by Storage Service (StorSvc)
{GUID_n}                        <file>      <--- generated by Volume Shadow Copy service
{GUID_n1}{GUID_n2}              <file>      <--- generated by Volume Shadow Copy service

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for this. In my job, I need to write firmware files for devices to FAT32 keys and the presence of other folders on the drive can cause problems. Setting that group policy, stopping the Storage Service and then quick-formatting the drive works well for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

I'm using an USB stick in a Smart TV and this always shows the 'System Volume Information' folder as very first folder.

I've enabled already a while ago "Do not allow locations on removable drives to be added to libraries" and it was fine for a while. But then the folder appeared again with a 'WPSettings.dat' file in it.

I'm reluctant to disable System Restore points because I don't want to loose this security fall-back facility, but I would still like to disable the creation of this 'System Volume Information' folder with the 'WPSettings.dat' file on USB sticks.

Is there a way to disable the creation of the 'WPSettings.dat' file on USB sticks without disabling the System Restore functionality?

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

I'm using an USB stick in a Smart TV and this always shows the 'System Volume Information' folder as very first folder.

I've enabled already a while ago "Do not allow locations on removable drives to be added to libraries" and it was fine for a while. But then the folder appeared again with a 'WPSettings.dat' file in it.

I'm reluctant to disable System Restore points because I don't want to loose this security fall-back facility, but I would still like to disable the creation of this 'System Volume Information' folder with the 'WPSettings.dat' file on USB sticks.

Is there a way to disable the creation of the 'WPSettings.dat' file on USB sticks without disabling the System Restore functionality?

Same happens to me in my car Dvd player. So I can't use the resume function properly, because it always tries to play WPSettings. Please we need a solution to this problem without having to disable the system restore functionality.

Thank you so much, for your help

·

Sorry this didn't help.