Question

Storage sense feature "New apps will save to" is greyed out

Olivier Bordes asked on

Hi,

The Settings->System->Storage->'New apps will save to' combo box is greyed out, at least in french builds 10166 and 10240.

Has anyone managed to have this option enabled in recent builds ?

The possibility to store apps on an SD card is very important when using low hd capacity devices like small tablets.

201 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Bhavya Kashyap replied on

Hi Eric,

We have actually made the decision to postpone the apps on SD functionality to a later release. While I know this feature excited many of us, we didn't feel like it was ready for prime time. Our goal is to delight users with everything that we build, and we truly feel that that is what will happen once we have fully built our vision for this feature.

Regards,

Bhavya

19 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Ruth Buruga replied on

Hi Olivier,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 Technical preview.

I can understand how frustrating it can be when things don’t work as expected. I'd be glad to help you.

I suggest you to follow the below methods to troubleshoot:

Method 1: Perform a sfc scan on the computer to check if there are any corruptions on the computer. Please follow the below link to perform a sfc scan on the computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If that doesn't help, perform Method 2.

Method 2:  Create a new user account on the computer and check. Please follow the below link to know how to create a new user account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Note: The link is for Windows 8.1 but also works for Windows 10.

Hope this information is helpful. Please reply in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

5 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Olivier Bordes replied on

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for your quick answer.

Unfortunately your suggestions didn't work on myHP Stream 8 running 32 bit build 10240, with a 64GB NTFS formatted SD card attached.

Method 1: sfc command completed with a message saying that some damaged files could not be repared. and that additinal details were available in windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, which is 3.7 Mbytes large.

After rebooting nothing changed: the "New apps will save to" combo box is still greyed out.

Method 2: I successfully created another local administrator.

After rebooting and logging with this new user, nothing changed: the "New apps will save to" combo box is still greyed out.

For information I also have the greyed out "New apps will save to" combo box on an HP Elitebook running 64 bit build 10166 that has several NTFS partitions.

4 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Eric Weiss replied on
Please bring this feature back. It is greatly needed for low capacity tablets. Seems weird to have a setting that cannot be set. 
Eric
36 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

Hi Eric,

We have actually made the decision to postpone the apps on SD functionality to a later release. While I know this feature excited many of us, we didn't feel like it was ready for prime time. Our goal is to delight users with everything that we build, and we truly feel that that is what will happen once we have fully built our vision for this feature.

Regards,

Bhavya

19 people found this helpful

Abuse history

I light of the articles popping up around the quote above, I would like to stress that this applies to Desktop only. Mobile will continue to support Apps on SD, as it did on Windows Phone 8.1. 
5 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Olivier Bordes replied on

Hi Bhavya,

That's too bad... This, plus the impossibility to move offline maps to sdcard and mails to sdcard, that's really too bad...

11 people found this helpful

Abuse history

TowJam60 replied on

Does this only impact Windows 10 on actual tablets or even on laptops?  I have a 32gb HP Stream 13 which is down to <4gb free space.  This will be an upgrade showstopper until if/when W10 will support installing apps to the installed 64gb MicroSD card.

6 people found this helpful

Abuse history

zScorch replied on

What if you don't want to do this to an SD card, but just to a regular secondary hard drive? I don't care about SD cards, but I do care about not having to save apps to my (smaller) boot drive,
115 people found this helpful

Abuse history

AdamDubuque replied on

I light of the articles popping up around the quote above, I would like to stress that this applies to Desktop only. Mobile will continue to support Apps on SD, as it did on Windows Phone 8.1. 

How many developers do you honestly think you will bring on board when no one has the room to download their software? This feature is not only the one to give you exactly the edge you need to pull forward, it is also a necessity with your OS specifically because you are more than an apps and games OS considering the size of the required files windows needs to have it usual ideal this is not an option it is a must. I'm having trouble understanding the logic of having this option in the phones rather than the tablets (32&64gb), pcs and especially the 2 in 1's (also 32&64gb) it seems rather backwards when the phone doesn't require drivers and isn't really suited for apps like adobe suite as an example (scratches head) Act now while you have the press or continue to disappoint. Its a real shame because who ever made the decision to not apply this option just threw a wrench in a very classy Swiss clock masterpeice.

Man what waste....  (shaking head in sad disbelief)

this one considering that the other competitors

P.S. I am assuming due to obvious reasons and your posts regarding this that the issue is having this option available as well as the developer options you feel you had to choose the lesser of 2 evils but you really might want to go outside the box with this it is my opinion but you should really weigh the results of just going for it there is far more good tut you could not be more wrong if that is the case than bad and in the future you can always change up. In all reality the issues involved are already out there with your competitors and it isn't really going to do anything but turn more people on to your software and products. but do what you will and must. I'm sure you are thinking that the consequences of not doing this in the immediate future is small but  that couldn't be more wrong. Its more like the other way around the consequence's of having both options available the developer option temp would be small and well worth the "Risks involved" but I wont beat a dead horse just google this subject your audience has already spoken and the ball is in your court. You of all should know in life you need to take risks to get ahead and in my opinion its hard to call this a risk when everyone is giving you the answer. its up to you if you choose to ignore it.

61 people found this helpful

Abuse history

AG-gap replied on

It seems totally idiotic, that you as part of the team decide to only apply this to desktop operating system only when now a-days the 2 in 1 and tablets using windows are not consider Mobile but are actually (realistically) operating as a mobile device with the same functionality as a phone and with the same basic restriction on storage space. So please turn the clock back two builds and reapply the change to allow us user the option for storage locations. Please..... we the insiders have being doing our part to make this the best Windows builds yet, please Microsoft do you part...

It is not a luxury in this day and age of computing its is a necessity.

43 people found this helpful

Abuse history