OneDrive is Deleting files in Shared/Added folders [in Build 14257]

There is already Insider feedback that OneDrive is not syncing Shared/Added folders, but in fact is is actually deleting the files on the PC. As I keep backups of my backup I can deal with this, but I won't be using OneDrive again until I know this is fixed.

It is still working OK in Win7 (another reason I am keeping Win10 as a beta system).

*Update*

I am now at another PC in a different location. It was running Win7 when there was a similar symptom. I stopped OneDrive when I saw files being deleted from the same Shared/Added folder: but found them in the Recycle bin. I restored them, restarted OneDrive and it continued normally, nothing else was deleted. Very odd. Possibly it had decided the PC versions of the files needed refreshing from the server and it was deleting them before downloading to refresh. But as the files were not changed, and there are 30GB of them, this is unwanted behaviour.

Whatever was happening, it's not a build 14257 issue as this was seen in Win7: but still specific to Shared/Added folders.

Did you put this into Feedback?
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, no, actually, because I am now busy running Win7 on this dual boot machine to recover the situation, and the Feedback app is not available to me here. I may go back to Win10 sometime, but it was already past my bedtime when I posted last night.

Besides, as the development team regularly tells us from their blogs and profiles, they read this forum just as much as the Feedback. And they need upvotes on the feedback before they prioritise it which is not a rapid process. It is quite possible that this route is more effective.

Oh, and I also reported it on the web interface feedback link and got a copy/paste reply "it's in the recycle bin"  - no it's not. But then that's the production system, so whether it will get through to the developers is moot.

Thank you for your interest.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Yes.  And how do we keep it turned off for the computer that we do not want to use One drive.

I have multiple computers and do not want all tied to the same One Drive.

-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@CouldOf

I must have missed something, that sounds like what is supposed to happen, if you delete in one place (cloud or PC) it will delete from all. If you want to keep files on the server but not the PC then you remove them from the list of synced folders in Settings. And if vice versa then you must move them out of the OneDrive folder on the PC: that will delete them from the server.

@Both

Yes, when Win10 starts up after a new build is installed it runs OneDrive even if "Run Automatically at Startup" has been turned off. That is quite rude of it.

@LC

If you want it permanently off on one PC, you can just push the Unlink button on Settings. It will immediately offer to be set up again and you can then change your OneDrive account if that's what you want, or you can just leave it off. You can link any user account on any PC to any OneDrive account you have, you do not have to have OneDrive pointing to the same account as you have signed into the PC with.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2020 Views 144 Applies to: