Question

Q: How to change location of OneDrive folder in Windows 10 Technical Preview? This thread is locked from future replies

Original title: Windows 10 OneDrive

How do you move OneDrive to a different Drive other than C. It seems this feature has been removed. I was able to do it in windows 8.1

Answer

A:

Important note: nothing posted here is endorsed by Microsoft. I am a OneDrive user who was looking for a solution to the same problem others have had here. Thanks!

I think it's because it's removable storage. I had the same problem when I tried to install Adobe CS6 to a MicroSD card on my Surface Pro 3.

The easiest way to fix this is to mount your MicroSD card in an empty NTFS folder, in addition to its assigned drive letter. You can do this is Disk Manager (diskmgmt.msc) - just right-click on your card and select "Change drive letters and paths..." It's pretty straightforward from there. Just make sure to mount your card to a folder on C:, and select that folder when you set your OneDrive location.

Update 7/30/2015 and 8/5/2015:

It looks like the OneDrive client in the RTM version of Windows 10 does not allow syncing OneDrive to an SD card via the empty NTFS folder method if there isn't enough free space on the C: drive for the data to be synced.

There is a simple workaround from GiovanniSantoroJunior:

1. Right-click the Start button and click on Disk Management.
  2. Click the Action menu item at the top of the window and then click Create VHD.
  3. Follow the prompts that appear.
  4. Right-click the new disk and then click Initialize Disk. Click OK.
  5. Right-click the new disk and then click New Simple Volume (or select a different volume type, if available).
  6. Follow the prompts that appear.
Update 11/2/2015: Here are the instructions with screenshots!

Follow these instructions to set your new VHD to automount when Windows boots.

Update 11/2/2015:

If you have trouble with the scheduled task method of auto-mounting your VHD, you can try this freeware utility.

Update 10/26/2015:

If you want to enable BitLocker on the VHD (which is recommended if the MicroSD card on your tablet is easily removed and you're concerned about the security of your files), user golub provided this useful information:

I found my issue: I had enabled bitlocker on the vhdx file (it's my personal data after all, a bit too easy to steal the SD card and read all) and it was not unlocking it.

My VHDX file was mounted as a O: drive (O as OneDrive :-)).

Here is how I fixed it:

1. In the BitLocker settings I unlocked my "O" drive with the key I could retrieve (I saved the key on Onedrive when I created it) at https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey
  2. I turned on "auto-unlock" on the same bitlocker menu (which means on this tablet it will be auto-unlocked at boot
  3. And now when I boot the VHD does mount without a problem!

Important Update 11/15/2016:

There is a known issue with the latest big Windows 10 update (November Update, Threshold 2, Update 1511) that causes the update to hang at 44% if a MicroSD card is inserted while the update installs. I haven't confirmed the below suggested fix because my own tablet isn't running Windows 10 right now, but you can try this if you run into the 44% hang problem:

1.  Exit OneDrive (right-click the white cloud icon in the lower left corner of your screen, by the system clock, and click Exit).
  2. Disable OneDrive from starting automatically at login:
    1. Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager.
    2. Click the Startup tab. If you don't see tabs, click More Details on the bottom left corner of the Task Manager window.
    3. Right-click on Microsoft OneDrive and select Disable.
  3. Safely remove your MicroSD card by clicking on the icon in the system tray that looks like a little USB plug with a green checkmark over it. Select your MicroSD card to eject it.
  4. Now you can install the update.

Once the update is done, you can reinsert your card, re-enable OneDrive autorun at login, and reboot to start OneDrive normally.

Information about the 44% hang known issue is in this thread.

I work for Microsoft, but around here I'm just another user...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

Microsoft has fixed the 'OneDrive/SD Card' issue.  A VHD is no longer required (although I will probably keep using my veracrypt method for security and/or for programs that will not install on the SD card).

Right click the OneDrive icon in the System Tray (may have to click the up arrow to 'Show hidden icons'),-> Settings, on the 'Account' tab, Click 'Unlink OneDrive'.  Open OneDrive (start->All Apps) After you log into OneDrive, you will see where it wants to put the OneDrive folder, change it to the OneDrive folder you previously created on the SD card.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

8 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 64145 Last updated: February 23, 2018 Applies to: