File and printer sharing: unable to access some computers but not others from Win10p computer

I am unable to access shared folders on several computers from the Windows 10 9926 computer. The message is

"\\computername is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The account is not authorized to log in from this station." 

Shared folders and files on the Windows 10 computer are accessible from the other computers.

Background: I have been using peer-to-peer networking on several networks for more than 10 years. I currently have about 6 computers on my local network that I use regularly, and about 6 more that I seldom use, which are mostly for testing. I do not use Homegroups because some OS'es on the network don't support it. I have each computer in its own workgroup, the names of which are the computername with the suffix "wg". Upon setting up a new computer, I immediately put a shared folder, usually in the root of the "C" drive, called "Installs", with full access to everyone. I set up the computer using this "Installs" folder, copying from "Installs" folders on the other computers. Thus, viable File and Printer Sharing is established from the get-go. This has not been possible with the Windows 10 computer. It can access the XP computer, but not the Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 computers. The other computers can access the shares on the Windows 10 computer. VNC is working in both directions on the Windows 10 computer. Thus, if I want to get a file from another computer onto the Windows 10 computer without going to the other computer with a flash drive, I can connect to the desktop of the other computer from the Windows 10 computer with VNC, connect to the share on the Windows 10 computer from the other computer using FPS, and copy the file to the Windows 10 computer using that method. I can not use the Windows 10 computer to connect to or read from the shares on the other computers, except for the Windows XP computer. I can not connect to or use the shared printer, which is on a Windows 7 Ultimate computer.

Additionally, because browsing through the separate workgroups can sometimes be tricky, I have a folder of "connectoids" to shares that I regularly use.
I routinely copy this folder to a new computer initially, and use these to connect to the shares. These don't work either.

I have observed the following suspicious behavior in "Network and Sharing Center => Change advanced sharing settings". Normally, upon connecting to the wifi or wired network a screen comes up that asks if it is public or private, and the computer will use the settings for whichever you choose. There is normally also a check box that says "In the future, treat all networks as public and do not ask again". That screen does not appear. Instead, the network is immediately designated as public, as though that box had previously been checked. It has been my experience in the past that checking that box permanently makes file and printer sharing difficult or impossible, and can not be undone.

The result of this can be seen below the "View your active networks" area in Network and Sharing Center. The word "Public" is black, meaning it is not changeable, and logging on as an administrator does not turn it blue, making it changeable, as is normally the case. Surprisingly, going into the "Public" section under "Change advanced sharing settings," and changing the settings to those appropriate to a Private network (normally not advised) immediately causes the network profile to revert to "Private", which is what was wanted in the first place. Turning on media streaming also immediately causes the network to switch to private. As far as I know, these are the only ways to effect this change. 

Answer
Answer

This looks like the same problem I, and others using shares without logins, had. This is a stupid change in Windows 10  that is suppose to enhance security but makes it very inconvenient for a lot of people.

Check this thread for a registry workaround

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files/the-account-is-not-authorized-to-log-in-from-this/26f9946b-1064-4a79-8be2-f9d128638748

In another thread

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_web/error-the-account-is-not-authorized-to-login-from/ffa63cc0-92d0-4639-9e3f-4d50100c1841

Microsoft described the reason for the change but in the post after mine acknowledged

"I'm certainly sorry this change has caused confusion and burned time.  Feedback heard - the error message is inadequate, and setting a regkey is clunky.  Rest assured we're going to be improving this experience."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2024 Views 771 Applies to: