[WU-CCC2] Windows 10 overrides Catalyst Install Manager-installed Catalyst drivers with script each logon?

Hi all. I did search for this issue but the only other report I founds wasn't resolved or explained properly. So here's some background:

I'm running an HP dv6-6080 with Intel HD3000 graphics and an AMD Radeon 6770M in switchable mode. I've long been using custom drivers for these cards to keep current with the Catalyst releases since HP stopped providing driver updates. However:

In Windows 10 build 10074 (actually started in 10049 but has persisted) I noticed a command script run on every logon. Turns out, it was running a Catalyst Windows Update script which removes any graphics drivers NOT installed via Windows Update (e.g. the ones installed with CIM (Catalyst Install Manager)) and reinstalls, currently, Catalyst 15.20wNxt drivers. 

A sample from the log in C:\AMD\WU-CCC2\ccc2_install :

Checking for previous instances of CCC installed through WU.
Check for any CCC instance, installed through CIM.
Found CCC instance installed through CIM.
Successfully uninstalled CCC instance which is installed through CIM. <---here is where my drivers get deleted
got uninstall strings in szUninstallStrings list and passing for uninstallation..
Successfully uninstalled existing CCC from WU using PerformWUCCCUninstall.

This is very frustrating because the 15.20 drivers run my laptop hot and I wish to use the custom 14.4 drivers I had which worked 100% with all builds of Windows 10. Everytime I manually install these drivers they get removed at startup again by the script which deletes the drivers. I've turned off the "Automatically get drivers from Windows Update" option and even deleted the folder C:\AMD\WU-CCC2 but the issue persists: I don't want these 15.20 drivers yet but I can't replace them. I checked MSCONFIG and SERVICES.MSC but can't find the WULaunchApp.exe instance set to run except when it is in execution. Are there any workarounds for this?

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2019 Views 13,824 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
As a follow-up, I did install Version 10122. This did not resolve the issue until the next day when Windows Update issued an updated driver for my Display. The new driver is dated May 14, 2015 and is version 15.200.1023.3. This did seem to resolve the video playback. :)

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.