Windows support for USB Audio 2.0?

Will Windows 10 have native support (without third party drivers) for USB Audio Class 2.0 - UAC2?

This is important for using external USB audio hardware plug and play without having to install drivers. OS X already supports this for a long time, and now Android 5.0 will support this too. Windows is lagging behind...

PS: not to be confused with USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 which is related to the connection speed. I ask about USB Audio 2.0 which handles external audio devices with 24 bit and 192 kHz resolution.

Thanks.

Matias

Discussion Info

Last updated October 13, 2018 Views 32,192 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You need to repost this under Mobil/Phones as this is the PC posting site.
just saying as I'm a unpaid volunteer and not a Xspurt

You need to repost this under Mobil/Phones as this is the PC posting site.

He has a good point non the less. Unfortunately most audio people have given up all hope of Windows ever supporting UAC2. Personally I find it ironic that the fellow tried on a Windows Phone in the first place.

The ability to use things like high quality usb mics with a cell phone even in high bit stereo is where Apple has Microsoft over a barrel. In the audio pro recording world windows continues to be a joke or at best a royal pain to work with.

PS I get the red flag for my ER avatar.

And sure enough, here we are at Build 2016, and still no UAC2.  Not even mention of it on the distant horizon.  But hey, at least MS partnered with Canonical to have a Bash shell.  (And why that, BTW!?  We already have Babun, which I'll bet is lighter.  Oh, and Ubuntu, which already works great for both web devs and casual users, i.e., the only people MS thinks exist.)  Ah, well.  Maybe someday Canonical will implement UAC2 for them, too. 

I should make a T-shirt that says MS hates audio devs. 

I'm still on Windows 7 and have absolutely no motivation to upgrade to Windows 10, still no UAC2 support is a major reason.

Heard that Mr Nadela has set the goal to have 1 billion Win10 upgrades by the end of free upgrade programme, I highly doubt he can achieve it with this kind of support.

Windows has been a major LAUGHING STOCK in Pro Audio Video market for a while and it will continue so in the foreseeable future.

From Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14915.

That is nice, but what about Windows 10 Mobile?

Hello everyone,

As you have found out, we have an initial version of a USB Audio 2 driver in the latest Windows Insider release! This is an initial version with only limited features enabled (playback only, no recording support as of now). I encourage everyone to test the driver with your USB Audio 2 devices and file bugs via the feedback app.

Your feedback is important to us and we share your frustration at how long it has taken us to get here. Please keep the feedback coming!

The driver is available in all versions of Windows 10 - including mobile.

- Bala Sivakumar

Program Manager, Audio at Microsoft

That is a great news.  I have been using Macbook pro to listen to music for a while.  I would definitely move back to Windows when USB audio 2.0 is supported. 

Hello everyone,

As you have found out, we have an initial version of a USB Audio 2 driver in the latest Windows Insider release! This is an initial version with only limited features enabled (playback only, no recording support as of now). I encourage everyone to test the driver with your USB Audio 2 devices and file bugs via the feedback app.

Your feedback is important to us and we share your frustration at how long it has taken us to get here. Please keep the feedback coming!

The driver is available in all versions of Windows 10 - including mobile.

- Bala Sivakumar

Program Manager, Audio at Microsoft

Bala, is it possible to download this driver separately and test it in another version of Windows?

I have a Lumia 735, with the latest Insider Build and a 2008 Mini Cooper.  If I plug the phone is the USB port, and set the cars equipment to USB, it immediately starts playing a certain track from the music I have placed on the device.  This particular file is a WAV.  All my other files are either MP3 or WMA.  If say "play music" the phone plays music through the microphone jack, so they can be played through the Aux port on the cars equipment.  With this attachment all files play fine.  Now, if I have the device plugged in via USB and it is playing this track and I say play music, it starts playing some other track through the speakers on the phone (both at the same time.)  Lastly, I cannot play any other track via USB. Only the one and I don't know how it picked it other than the WAV property.

Ideas?