Discussion

Windows support for USB Audio 2.0?

Will Windows 10 have native support (without third party drivers) for USB Audio Class 2.0 - UAC2?

This is important for using external USB audio hardware plug and play without having to install drivers. OS X already supports this for a long time, and now Android 5.0 will support this too. Windows is lagging behind...

PS: not to be confused with USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 which is related to the connection speed. I ask about USB Audio 2.0 which handles external audio devices with 24 bit and 192 kHz resolution.

Thanks.

Matias

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I noticed the specs have been finished and approved by the USB design working group as of May 2006, or 8 years by now, and described in "Audio Devices Rev. 2.0 Specs..." file in the USB.org site.

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/

Will Windows 10 have native support (without third party drivers) for USB Audio Class 2.0 - UAC2?

This is important for using external USB audio hardware plug and play without having to install drivers. OS X already supports this for a long time, and now Android 5.0 will support this too. Windows is lagging behind...

PS: not to be confused with USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 which is related to the connection speed. I ask about USB Audio 2.0 which handles external audio devices with 24 bit and 192 kHz resolution.

Thanks.

Matias

+1

+1 for this request!

+1 too :-)

Howdy - Windows Audio quality dev here. Thanks for your feedback; the audio team is listening.

For the record, Windows 10 Technical Preview has the same support in this area as Windows 8.1:

• native support for USB 1.0, USB 2.0, and USB 3.0 controllers
  • native support for USB Audio 1.0 audio devices
  • but, as you point out, USB Audio 2.0 devices require a third-party driver.
Matthew van Eerde

Windows 10, USB Audio 2.0 devices require a third-party driver.

Yes, but please please please please add native support for USB Audio 2.0 in Windows 10. The entire high-resolution audio market and studios will thank you for this.

Thank you for the clarification. 

Now hires audio is getting popular and our demand of class 2 driver has been greatly increased.

Mac OS already have it since OSX 10.6.4. Now Mac has established a position of primary audio platform. The USB audio class 2 driver on Windows 10 would be a help to retake the position. 

We definitely need it.

+1 please!!

+1  This is one of the most important features to me!

+1 Thank You!!

Discussion Info

Views: 31,355 Last updated: July 18, 2018 Applies to: