Windows 10 keeps reinstalling the wrong driver

Every time my computer does its update cycle it, without asking (and without any way to change this), forces a download and install of the most 'recent' touchpad driver for my laptop. However, this driver does not work. The driver that does work is a slightly older one that I have to reinstall after every single Windows update cycle. Is there any way to stop it constantly reinstalling the same driver over and over again? Why can't I have the options to; A) Not automatically download and install updates, B) Unschedule a specific update, C) Stop Windows from updating a certain device... I'm being pigeon-holed so much I feel like I've installed iOS on my computer.

Question Info

Last updated July 14, 2018 Views 20,406 Applies to:
Answer

Automatic driver updates are often problematic on some configurations they should default to off
or present a choice on OS installation/configuration  or an on /off function in  setting app >win update or update permissions should be like win 7  but it's not the fix is below  : 

right click start button > select control panel >System >advanced system settings > hardware>
device installation settings > Select "No let me choose what to do " > Select "Never  install driver software  from windows update"  > save changes and exit . ☺

Note : you  still may still have to manually update (roll back ) your affected driver *if* windows installs it concurrently with each  update if not in any event before that takes place or in between (new builds) this will disable automatic updates .

<this setting is *not retained*  with a new build update and must be enabled (preferably right away ) with each new install > 

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.