Windows 10 can't play MP3, even VLC won't work

Windows 10 can't play MP3, even VLC won't work  but when I drag the mp3 File in the browser it plays.

Question Info

Last updated October 11, 2018 Views 28,783 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Micheal,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist.

This issue might occur when the Mp3 file is broken or when it is not compatible with the Windows Media Player or other media players.

I would like to know few more details with the details to assist you better.

1. Is it specific to one particular Mp3 file?
  2. Do you get any error message/code when you try to play the Mp3 file?

Try the following methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to check the file type which you cannot play. Follow the below steps to check the Type of the file:

1. Right click on the file which you cannot play and click on Properties.
  2. Check the Type of the file under General tab.

If the file is not compatible with Windows Media Player or other media players then that file may not play.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2: Run Windows Media Player Troubleshooter.

I suggest you to run Windows Media Player Troubleshooter. Follow the below steps to run Windows Media Player:

1. Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
  2. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
  3. Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 3: Perform SFC scan.

System file check is a utility that checks for system file corruption and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

I suggest you refer and try the steps from the response created by ZigZag3143 (MS - VP) and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I would like to inform you that Windows 10 Technical Preview is still in development stage, certain features might not work in the usual manner.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Codecs: frequently asked questions and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/codecs-frequently-asked-questions#codecs-frequently-asked-questions=windows-8

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Windows 10 FAQ.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further.

Thank you. 

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Rathod,

I have over 3900 mp3's that play fine under Windows 7, my car stereo, several mp3 boomboxes, and an Apple iPod Nano, and I am having the same problem where Windows 10 says it doesn't recognize the format.  So far, I've only installed Windows 10 on my HP laptop which I am using as a testbed for this new OS.

Playing mp3's is such a fundamental capability that I am in awe that it's not recognizing this popular, standard format.  The scenario that you've provided above is a bit "out there" for casual computer users, but I will pursue this as you've suggested.  In the meantime, while I can always appreciate a freebee, I am suspending any further installations on my desktops until all of the "gotchas" are resolved.

Thank you for taking the time to resolve this issue, and hopefully some of the info I've provided can help identify the extent of the problem.

388 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Just installed Windows 10 on one of our machines. MP3s will no longer play using any of the Windows software or Quick time or any other previously working software.

Windows 10 has some serious problems and I will not be upgrading any of the other machines for months to come.

JohnG

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry about this... We're looking into it. The problem seems to be very rare (only a few complaints) so I'm wondering if you two have anything in common.

What computers (make and model) are you using? Can you share your audio hardware IDs?

1. Run Device Manager

2. Go to Sound, video and game controllers

3. Double-click your audio device

4. Go to the Details tab

5. Select Hardware IDs

6. Right-click to copy them and then paste them in a reply here

Thanks!

John W [MSFT]

Sorry this didn't help.

I can confirm the same behaviors on the following:

Windows VM (fresh install)

Windows VM (upgrade)

Surface Pro 2 (upgrade)

Custom Build (upgrade)

From Groove: Error 0xc1010107 (0xc00d36c3)

From Windows Media Player: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. (C00D11B1)

Decided to run the experiment to test out this issue and can confirm that the same audio file worked in all four scenarios prior to the upgrade/install. The presence of Windows 10 creates this issue.

I've seen this issue reported in the feedback application as well, but I'm concerned that the majority of the issues are going unreported as two other individuals I've spoken to with the issue simply skipped the report function out of frustration. I imagine we're running into this from more folks than we'd like to admit.

I'm sure you don't need the hardware ID's for the VM or the Surface (if you do let me know), but here's the information for the custom build:

Onboard Audio:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2806&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2806&SUBSYS_80860101

I also test with a USB headset on both the PC and the Surface Pro 2.

Logitech USB Headset:

USB\VID_046D&PID_0A37&REV_0116&MI_00
USB\VID_046D&PID_0A37&MI_00

Sorry this didn't help.

When you say 2 VM's and a custom build, are the VM's on the custom build ???

If so, then they are all using the same audio device / driver - which is possibly your issue.

It would appear to be an intel hd audio device. (The VM still ends up using the actual hardware after virtualising it)

Problems with a core driver on a base machine will be passed to a VM virtual machine.

Try running the intel driver update utility (available from intel) - also worth trying device manager - select audio device and try update driver from internet - you need to have the driver updates enabled for this to work.

As for the surface 2- they make a good footrest. lol :-)

Win 7, the ultimate upgrade to win 10

Sorry this didn't help.

When you say 2 VM's and a custom build, are the VM's on the custom build ???

If so, then they are all using the same audio device / driver - which is possibly your issue.

It would appear to be an intel hd audio device. (The VM still ends up using the actual hardware after virtualising it)

Problems with a core driver on a base machine will be passed to a VM virtual machine.

Try running the intel driver update utility (available from intel) - also worth trying device manager - select audio device and try update driver from internet - you need to have the driver updates enabled for this to work.

As for the surface 2- they make a good footrest. lol :-)

VM's are not on the custom build, completely different hardware, so we're dealing with 3 separate hardware pieces with the same issue. I realize hardware attributes are passed down to the VM from the Hyper-visor, I'm not a newbie here. :)

I've already verified drivers were all current as well so that's taken care of.

Audio, itself, is not an issue as it plays it just fine on many apps streaming videos and audio without any errors. This is specific to certain file types and upgraded applications in Windows 10.

Sorry this didn't help.

All right, got mine figured out. I didn't even attempt to copy my files from my share which I should have thought of first. I noticed a failure when I was moving files around and now I feel dumb. Simple mistake but still none-the-less...

Now, evidently the upgrade wreaked havoc on my file permissions on the one Windows 10 box and I didn't realize it as I was able to look at the files and their properties without issue. I ended up reapplying all of my security permissions to the files and it fixed my problem.

I suggest for anyone who's having the problem, make sure you can copy or move your files around that you're having a problem with just to verify you're not having the same issue I was. If you are, then more than likely it's the same problem. Reapplication of security rights fixed mine but I've read a couple reports out there of a similar error code if you were crazy enough to enable the dedupe binaries on your 8.1 system from 2012 Server. (not knocking anyone who did that, it actually has it's value).

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem on my laptop, tried playing mp3s from my hard drive and also my onedrive so i know its not currupted files as they play fine on other devices.

My computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E530c and i got the free upgrade to windows 10 from 8.1.

Sorry this didn't help.

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_506C&SUBSYS_1025055B

However, I have had reports from many other people with laptops also rolling straight back to Windows 7 or .1 because their sound files stop working under windows 10. This also includes the 'Introduction to Windows 10' Video, somewhat ironically.

In conclusion, this is not a rare event but a major barrier to people upgrading.

I am now working on removing the Windows 10 pop-up - Upgrade  KB3035583 - which means moving to manual updates instead of automatic. What a pain. 

JohnG

Sorry this didn't help.