Why Doesn't my Denon Receiver Show Up in the Action Centre Connect Page?

I have a Denon AVR-3808 audio receiver. This appears as a Network Audio device in Settings/Connected devices, but does NOT appear on the Action Centre Connect page, so I can't connect to it.

This means that I can't use a Modern UI app (e.g. Music or Music Preview) to "Cast" my audio to the Denon. I can do this in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, but not Windows 10, it seems.

The Denon is a DLNA DMR class of device for audio.

Interestingly enough, I can use the traditional Windows Media Player to "Cast" to the Denon; and the function, which was called "Play to" in previous versions of Windows is now relabelled as "Cast to" in the WMP menu.

Question Info

Last updated September 12, 2019 Views 6,238 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

This is a little outside of my area of expertise, but let me see if I can find someone on the team to help look into this.

Thanks!

Thank you, John W.

Is Gabe Frost still on the team? He was the DLNA guru for Windows 7 and Windows 8, and helped us out before...

Thanks.

Hey Geoff, here's what Luke (the new owner of this) has for you, I hope this helps!

The DMR does not show up in the Action Center’s Connect menu intentionally.  Devices there are those which can be used for system-level connections such as Miracast for a cloned/extended desktop or a Bluetooth audio device which can be used as a default audio endpoint.  The DMR does show up in app-level connections such as the Cast To Device context menu and the new media element default transport controls.  From the app-level context, a piece of media or specific app scenario is sent to the remote device rather than the entire desktop experience.

The primary reason for not including DLNA devices in the system-level context is latency.  The DLNA protocol is designed more around the idea of streaming a file than as a live interactive stream.  While it is technically feasible, many devices are unable to provide an experience that would be responsive enough to work at the system level.

Eventually the new music app should have support for casting to such devices, the video preview app should already have this support enabled.

John W [MSFT]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.