W10M Insider Preview - AT&T 830 Random Screen Blinking

Gabe Aul has suggested we use this thread to help debug.

I've been using W10M through the Insider program for about the last 4 months. One bug that still remains in my Lumia 830, even in 10.0.10586.29, is a random screen blinking (e.g. screen goes blank for a half second, then comes back - doesn't affect operation in other ways though). Anyone else have the same issue or can share similar details?

Discussion Info

Last updated March 21, 2019 Views 3,104 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Adam, or Jason (@NorthFaceHiker on twitter) - it would be reasonable for someone from MS to feedback on this issue, if for nothing else to confirm Jason's assertion that MS cannot reproduce the bug and therefore this won't get fixed. Actually, that is my fear, that this blinking bug will not get fixed - that W10M will get released to legacy devices "as-is" and if it's not fixed in the first release, it will never get fixed (possibly because the fix would need a firmware update for hardware drivers). It would really be unfortunate if this phone gets W10M and is doomed to always have the blink bug.

Is anyone from MS listening?

Yes, we're listening.  The problem is that we haven't repro'd internally and the logs we've received via Feedback submissions haven't demonstrated the issue.

It's not for a lack of wanting to fix bugs, but without having identified the actual cause of what you're seeing, it's not possible to create changes to fix the experience.

If possible, please use the Field Medic app while reproducing the issue.  Make sure the app is set to capture all possible log types (Advanced > Choose ETW providers > check all of them).  The FM app captures very detailed logs that may help us better identify the issue.

Thanks,
Jason

Yes, we're listening.  The problem is that we haven't repro'd internally and the logs we've received via Feedback submissions haven't demonstrated the issue.

It's not for a lack of wanting to fix bugs, but without having identified the actual cause of what you're seeing, it's not possible to create changes to fix the experience.

If possible, please use the Field Medic app while reproducing the issue.  Make sure the app is set to capture all possible log types (Advanced > Choose ETW providers > check all of them).  The FM app captures very detailed logs that may help us better identify the issue.

Thanks,
Jason

Thanks. I really hope this gets fixed.  

It is not all 830's

I have an AT&T branded 830, bought it with update 1 installed. Used the WDRT to take it to update 2 and then to the one before 10586.122. I have 122 installed now with no signs of blinking or tearing

Lumia 1520.3 Surface RT

Hi, everyone

I have the same issue (tearing/blinking) on my l830 (Windows 10 mobile, lastest build, and on other builds as well ).

What i noticed on my device:

• Tearing / blinking is not related to any apps i start, if present, it happens right after a clean reboot. After that, you can swipe left and right between the start/apps-list screens to see the tearing in the upper corner. If present, you see it truth all apps you use. The blinking also happens sometimes after a fresh reboot before you start any apps.
  • There are a few seconds after the restart without tearing but after a background process starts it gets visible. The blinking also happens (sometimes) in the same timeframe, but i don't know if its related
  • On my device there is a lot more tearing if the battary is very low, enabling/disabling power save mode or adjusting brightness dont't make any difference

In Windows 8.1 i don't had any of that issues. There seem to be a background process(es) that cause bad Performance (after reboot) and tearing that gets worser if the battery is low. Also, if there is no tearing on more low end devices this must be driver issue !? And the blinking screen most likely also. 

Hope this helps

Glad to know, that someone wants to help us. My L830 is still blinking, and second (now primary) L640XL is OK. What are HW differences between these two phones, which could cause this issue? Graphic drivers should be the same (same chipset), what about brightness sensor? Could it be the problem of this issue?

Thank you for your reply. If I use Field Medic with all checked providers, my Lumia 830 displays perpetually the loading screen, I am not able to use the Start screen or any app and if I am able to start an app it immediately crashes.

However I have sent a report checking some voices, hoping it will help you to understand this problem.

It seems happening especially while I'm using apps which are not built for Windows 10, such as Blendifier, 6tag and Field Medic.

Marco

on my Lumia 830, it's working much better now, not perfect but almost.

I'm sorry I can't help solving this issue. But I hope that it will get fixed soon :)

Good luck

ps: Typing itself , is much faster, but deleting/editing is horribly slow.

So I switch back to 8.1 to get the new firmware.  Reloaded W10 (.164) and it happen again.  Although, it definitely seems less frequent.  The problem still exist.  It's so random.  

Thanks,
Jason

should I choose select all in the menu, or manual select all. Powerscreenon is not selected through the menu, and I think it might be useful.