roughly 2 Gb's of Memory missing in action. W10 14393.xxx

the recent slew of updates released on or around 10.20.16, have caused windows to use a lot more memory than it did before. there have been no software or hardware changes to my system. before the updates, I would have around 4 Gb's of 8 Gb's free. now I have 1.5 Gb's free out of 8 Gb's. and this is causes interfaces hangs and pauses in windows. I tried clean booting and the amount of free memory was still less than it should have been. I even tried creating a new account and the amount of memory usage was still the same. I have run chkdsk, sfc, and dism, and all three came back with no errors. uninstalling KB3197954 and going back to 14393.321 which was installed after the update in question,  but the amount of memory used did not decrease. I think i need to uninstall KBKB3199986 but I am not finding an uninstall option for it in the installed updates menu. How do I uninstall KB3199986? System restore is out of the question do to low disk space. I have a larger disk on order, but it's shipping is delayed because of the stupid NAND shortage.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Did you go Task Manager, Startup and see what is started?  Are they necessary to start every time?
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

According to the information in the Microsoft Update Catalog, KB3199986 is not uninstallable.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=706464a0-5fed-4d0b-adb6-81a7e79007fc

Sorry this didn't help.

currently not much is started, as I am in clean boot mode. only startup programs that don't rely on services are starting up atm, and I have 5.0 Gb's free of memory. It doesn't appear to be the KB like I thought it might. I don't know what is causing it. I have done a repair install and gone back to 14393.0  but memory usage is still up.

the currently running programs are mostly programs that were included by the Pc maker.

is there anyway to tell in detail what is consuming memory?

even now, in it's current state I should be using less memory.

I need something I guess that will analyze and give result of what the system is doing with my physical memory.

I also increased my page file by putting an additional page file on my secondary HDD, thinking that the low disk space on C:\ might be preventing adequate space for a large enough page file. This turned out not to be the case, as I know have a much larger page file, but windows does not seem to be taking advantage of the virtual memory (to load background programs into it.)

I am wondering if there is a switch somewhere that accidently got flipped (registry, settings file, etc.) if there is, I am completely unaware of it happening.

right now, just this second I exited all but 4 programs on my tasktray. still only have 5.2 Gb free

the four programs are:

Toshiba Bulletin Board

ReBit 6

and Defender (I have my regular security software currently disabled and completely turned off (unloaded too.)

if i'm reading task manager right. I have 2Gb's of memory that are missing in action.

Task manager says I still have 8Gb of ram, but 2.7 Gb (used) and 5.1 (free) dob't come close to the 7.9 Gb of memory total I should be working with.

Unless my video cards NVidia Turbocache is malfunctioning, and needlessly assigning system memory to bolster the dedicated 1Gb of video memory (card can assign up to 3Gb of shared memory)

Sorry this didn't help.

found sys internals rammap tool, and when I told the tool to start emptying the different areas of ram, in use shrank to 1.7 and free rose to 6.2 and stayed there.

could we be dealing with a memory leak?

it seems that telling the tool to empty the working sets is what gets memory to a more expected result

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't do this, reducing all working sets trashes the Page file without any reason, you still have free memory right?.

When doing this all pages from the working sets are all written to disk. These pages have to be reloaded from the paging file whenever you re-activate a program, so you incur an IO penalty without gaining anything.

The system memory manager knows exactly what to do when there is memory contention and will trim the not recently touched pages of working sets of dormant processes. He knows exactly which pages should be cached, you don't.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question; How many tabs do you have open in EDGE? Noticed that it is opening a new session with every tab

Richard

Sorry this didn't help.

The other option is to open Resource Monitor, yiu will find the link at the bottom of the Performance tab in Task Manager. Let it run in the background for a while and it will show you where the memory is being used. Columns are all sortable 

Richard

Sorry this didn't help.

'Task manager says I still have 8Gb of ram, but 2.7 Gb (used) and 5.1 (free) dob't come close to the 7.9 Gb of memory total I should be working with'

2.7Gb + 5.1Gb = 7.9Gb > the 2.7Gb (used) is about normal -  I have 16Gb = 3.1Gb (used) + 13.7Gb (free) - the .2Gb is System Reserved'

On info provided you do not have a problem. Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

A computer is a device, that requires human input to operate efficiently.
Alas we humans do fail!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Look at the memory counters in Task Man > Performance

What are the values for Committed and Cached and Paged and Non Paged Pool.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't really use edge that much. I use IE 11 as my main browser. at the moment there is only one tab when edge opens and in ie 11, there is only the tab that displays this page.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 24, 2019 Views 2,079 Applies to: