Netflix - Dolby Digital 5.1 not working on Windows 10 Build 10240

This appears to have been fed back through the Windows Feedback system but here we are with the supposed RTM build and this is still broken.

Works on Windows 8.1 with same hardware. Essentially when choosing Dolby Digital 5.1 as the audio format for a TV show or movie this no longer works.

It's as yet unclear where the fault lies. Would be good to know if this is Windows fault or if it's Intel or Netflix that need to update their drivers and app respectively to get this working again under Windows 10.

I've read other posts that suggest this may affect various apps and games that use DD5.1. It may not be limited to Intel Graphics.

On my system it passes out of my Intel Graphics HDMI connection to an LGTV and then on to a DD/DTS decoder. As I said, this worked flawlessly on Windows 8.1 with the Windows Store Netflix app.

It's disappointing because this is a modern OS and you expect this essential, now legacy, audio capability to be right from day one (and by day one I mean GA day). Hopefully it's just a matter of waiting for audio hardware developers to update their drivers for Windows 10 or for Netflix to make changes to adapt to whatever Microsoft API changed here.

Has anyone found a workaround or fix? T.I.A.

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2019 Views 10,752 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi, Windows Audio quality guy here.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eerde/

We've tracked this down to a bug in Windows - specifically, in the Media Foundation Streaming Audio Renderer.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa369729%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

The nature of the bug is such that it is triggered only when the app is a Windows Store app. We're working on a fix.

Matthew van Eerde

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
OK, the fix for this should be in the August 11th cumulative update (KB3081436).
Matthew van Eerde

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.