Logitech HD Webcam C270 working in 'Camera App' but not in Skype for WIndows Desktop 7.4.0.102, using Windows 10 build 10074

I have done a fresh install of Windows 10 build 10074 on a Dell Studio XPS 435, with a Logitech HD Webcam C270. I downloaded and installed Skype for Windows Desktop 7.4.0.102.  If I select "Tools -> Options -> Video Settings" for Skype, there is just a blank screen preview (with a rotating timer) instead of the normal image from the webcam. The "Camera App" can access the Webcam without any problem, and Skype works fine when booting Windows 7 on the same PC.

Sometimes when I select "Tools -> Options -> Video Settings" for Skype I also get a message "Display driver has stopped responding" popup message, momentarily. This has happened too many times to be coincidental. (Graphics card is AMD Radeon 7750).

Any ideas why Skype can't access the Webcam when the Camera App can? (Of secondary importance, why is there an association with the "Display driver" message?)

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 Technical preview.

Firstly, run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue:

1. Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
  2. Select Troubleshooting.
  3. Select View all on the top left corner.
  4. Click Hardware and Devices.
  5. Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.

I suggest you to update the latest drivers for your webcam and display drivers and check if it fixes the issue.

Follow the steps to update the Display driver and Webcam drivers:

1. Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
  2. Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
  3. Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
  4. Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
  5. Restart the computer after its updated and verify. 
  6. Follow the same steps to update Webcam drivers.

Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers and install the same.

Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had already tried all the "Device troubleshooting" steps and checked that the Driver was up to date (it show 13.80.853.0).  Likewise the AMD Display driver is 'up to date' (15.200.1018.1).

Everything appears fine on the device driver side - remember, too, that this is the latest 10074 build of Windows 10 - so there should be a reasonable chance that it should work "out of the box" with main stream hardware.

To be honest, I am not sure that this is necessarily a webcam driver issue. Remember that the webcam works fine with the Windows "Camera App".  Without knowing the internal details, I would have assumed that the "Camera App" is accessing the same driver logic. My guess is that the "Camera App" (which cannot be disabled) is somehow blocking 'Skype for Desktop'.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am still curious as to the reason why I frequently get "(AMD) Display driver has stopped responding" when I select "Tools->Options->Video Settings" from Skype Desktop. This does not happen every time,  but happens sufficiently often that there has to be an association.

Perhaps I am wrong in guessing that the "Camera App" is blocking Skype. Perhaps it is to do with how Skype "Video Settings" displays the webcam preview image.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Incidentally, if I try to make an actual Skype call, video is disabled from my end.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another bit of information - Skype for Desktop picks up the webcam's microphone OK - it is purely an imaging/display problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can reproduce the display driver problem quite easily. If I reboot, and then start up Skype for Desktop and do "Tools->Options->Video settings" I am almost certain to get the following message in the Event Log: "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Log Name: System, Source: Display, Event ID:4101.  To reiterate I have an AMD Radeon HD7750 with the 15.200.1018.1 AMD driver.

What I cannot be sure though is whether:

1) the display driver problem causes Skype to be unable to access the webcam, or,

2) Skype somehow causes the display driver to stop responding, or

3) neither problem causes the other - they just happen to occur at the same time.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Looking at the Skype forum it does seem that Skype and the AMD display driver don't like each other and there are several reports of use of Skype leading to display driver problems, on both Windows 8 and even 7.  This does not appear to be a Windows 10 specific issue, and Windows itself is probably just an innocent victim of a Skype/AMD feud.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have started a replacement forum thread with a more appropriate description - linking Skype and the AMD display driver. I think that the Logitech C270 itself is not a relevant part of the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have started a replacement forum thread with a more appropriate description - linking Skype and the AMD display driver. I think that the Logitech C270 itself is not a relevant part of the problem.

That sounds like a good move. If you do get past that and find there is still a camera issue, please feel free to come back here and restart that conversation. I've tagged this thread, so if you do post here again I'll be notified.

Thanks!

John W [MSFT]

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to confirm that I am virtually certain that this is a Skype/AMD Display Driver compatibility issue. Downgrading to Skype 6.14 the Logitech C270 webcam works OK.

The Logitech driver and the Windows Media Apps (e.g. Camera)  work fine and are completely blameless (as regards my original reported problem).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2022 Views 12,053 Applies to: