**FOUND BUG in 14291; read this before you upgrade!**

The usual disclaimers apply, that Windows 10 is beta software and you never know what might break in a new build.  So far I like 14291, but it comes with a bug (that I don't see in the Feedback Hub) that I think bears explaining for any of our multimedia enthusiasts.  I've already reported it, with reproduced steps recorded, so hopefully MSFT will be able to fix it for the next build.  (Meantime, I intend to continue using 14291.)

Here's the bug:

I use MPC-HC for all of my media playback, simply because it's nice and lightweight, and it moves easily between monitors.  One of my laptops is hooked up to a TV in my home office via HDMI, so I can have something from my library playing while I work.  For that, I use Extend mode, and until 14291 it worked flawlessly.

Not so now.  I can still play with MPC-HC, and I can still get the player onto the second screen, but as soon as I make MPC-HC fullscreen, all of a sudden Explorer starts to crash, and it happens literally every 1-2 seconds as long as MPC-HC is in fullscreen mode.  Aside from being horribly disruptive, this also negates my ability to use keyboard shortcuts with MPC-HC, and truly makes it difficult to do just about anything with the PC.  The second I go back to windowed mode in MPC-HC, though, everything goes right back to normal.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling, and clean-installing the nVidia 555M drivers, to no avail.  (For the record, my Titan's geForce 980X SLI is still crashing really frequently on this build as well.)

So far this looks like a fast build with lots of new things to look at and try out, but I strongly suggest any multimedia enthusiasts or gamers out there approach this one with caution.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I too use MPC-HC but I'm not having the issues you are in respect to using full screen mode. I wonder if your issue is related to your video card. I'm running an old GeForce 9600 GT and so far, everything is working as expected.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I'm not sure how old the 9600 series is, but this one is a GeForce 555M circa 2010...admittedly ancient by today's standards, but this is still notable in my book because it's a new issue, and the very first time since using Windows 10 that I've run into something like this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's also worth noting that this only happens if MPC-HC is on the second display, and then only if it's fullscreen.  Not windowed on the second display, and not fullscreen on the first.  Weird!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also experience the same issue, with MPC-HC causing explorer to go into an endless crash/restart loop when it goes to full screen on my non-primary monitor (laptop screen + 2 external monitors).

The same issue also happens with Remote Desktop Connection, which was how I initially came across the bug as I use RDP a lot for work. Again, it only happens when it goes to full screen on my 2nd or 3rd monitor.

Final way I managed to trigger this was when taking screenshot using the Snipping Tool - when you are selecting a window or drawing a rectangle the program presumably takes control over all the monitors for a brief moment, and that also causes explorer to crash.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

radeon 290x. Same problem with actual drivers. All fullscreen apps crashing explorer after windows update. =(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the same problem but with Windows Media Player. It only happens when in full screen mode on my second monitor. I have the latest drivers installed. It is definitely new to this build as I have been playing videos full screen on second monitor in every build prior to 14291 with no problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue. Anything fullscreen on my second monitor will cause explorer to repeatedly crash. Fury X w/ Crimson 15.16 driver.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Confirming the same issue with PowerPoint.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue with most anything in fullscreen.  Chrome, VMWare, etc.  Using multiple monitors for a virtual in VMWare is impossible on this build.

Running an R9 390 with Crimson 16.3.1.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 435 Applies to: