Build 15007 - No Audio Issue & Workaround

Hello Insiders!

For PC users in the Fast ring, welcome to build 15007!  As part of this build there is a known issue that will affect some users and we wanted to describe the issue and the simple workaround should you hit this bug after installing the new build.  Details are below:

Issue:

Some users may hit a bug that has several possible symptoms.  Each of these issues are caused by this same bug:

- No audio

- Continuous high CPU/disk usage

- Edge crashes when opening Settings inside the app

Workaround:

To bypass this bug, please complete the following either the Quick OR Manual steps:

Quick steps:

1. Open a command prompt
  2. Paste the following: 

Rmdir /s %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Spectrum\PersistedSpatialAnchors

Shutdown /r

Manual steps:

1. Open File Explorer
  2. Navigate to this folder:

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Spectrum

3. Select the "PersistedSpatialAnchors" folder and click Delete
  4. Reboot the PC

If you encounter a message saying "files are in use" while trying to delete the folder, reboot your PC and try again.

That's it!  You only need to complete these steps one time and the issue is resolved.

If there are any questions, please post so we can address.

Thank you as always!
Jason

Discussion Info

Last updated July 11, 2018 Views 14,657 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Moot now that the new build is out, but can I assume that this also would have been a solution for the same apparent problem in 15002?  Quite a number of people reported audio cutting out randomly, and I saw it a couple times in the first 24 hours.
Maybe disabling the Spectrum service would work too? From the description it looks like it's something for VR headsets or HoloLens which very few people currently have.

If you can't delete the files mentioned here, you can stop the Spectrum service and try again. No need to reboot.

Also, you can have audio again if you start and stop the Windows Audio service. No need to reboot either.

Not moot at all.  This was written because *it does* apply to 15007.
None of those will permanently fix the underlying issue though.
I only noticed the crashes with the edge settings but  the rest is fine.

Not moot at all.  This was written because *it does* apply to 15007.

I just meant relative to 15002 now that it's obsolete. I was wondering if it was the same issue there or just a similar one.

This solution did not work for me.
likewise on two machines for me :-/
actually after trying a second time it worked :)