Audio issues with Windows 10? Please read this!

Hello Insiders!

I’ve been keeping up on the many, many threads concerning audio problems with Windows 10, and I want to give you the latest information.

First, if you are running anything older than today’s build 10166, you definitely need to upgrade to get the best audio experience. We had a couple of different problems in builds 10130 through 10162, but we believe that 10166 is pretty solid from an audio standpoint.

Second, we are still working with our audio hardware partners to get Windows 10 drivers for as many configurations as possible. There may be cases where we won’t be able to get a Windows 10 driver, so we will work with an older driver or recommend that you use the built-in High Definition Audio Driver in Windows 10.

Here’s where I need your help. Once you’ve installed 10166 and updated to the latest audio drivers (from Windows Update or from your OEM’s web site), I want to hear what kind of issues you’re still seeing. I invite you to e-mail me at “mediaq at Microsoft dot com” with the following:

1. Run DxDiag.exe, click “Save all information” and send me that file

2. In the same e-mail, explain to me the symptoms you’re seeing

Using this information, I can work with our hardware partners to get the best experience possible. Across the Windows Insiders Community, you have a far broader spectrum of configurations than I could ever hope to have in a test lab, so your help here would be really valuable to me.

And of course, always feel free to start new discussions here in the Windows Insider Community Forum; I’ll always be here checking for new conversations. I also encourage you to submit feedback via the Windows Feedback app. If there is an existing entry that reflects your situation, please upvote instead of adding a new item as entries with the most upvotes always get the quickest response.

Finally, I want to offer a troubleshooting tip for these latest builds. Many of you have upgraded from build to build since the very beginning (that’s serious dedication!) and have been through some pretty rough code with us. If you still have your old Windows 7/8/8.1 image available for your machine, I’d love to hear whether problems are reproducible when upgrading cleanly from your original OS to Windows 10 Build 10166 (or later), i.e. without going through a series of pre-release builds.

You’ve been incredibly helpful to me and the Media Team, and to Microsoft. We’re close to release and I want to thank you for your ongoing help with Windows 10.

John Wink [MSFT]

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 13,114 Applies to: